Kayak Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak Accident

How could you not know that you ran over a kayak?

Yea that’s crazy, you had to know you hit something. Hope they find them.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      https://kristv.com/news/2019/05/27/p...ansas-channel/

How could you not know that you ran over a kayak?
      Barge pushed by a tug.

Comment

I came close to hitting a kayak crossing the sabine channel late one evening. They really need to put lights on them ..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
          I came close to hitting a kayak crossing the sabine channel late one evening. They really need to put lights on them ..
          Can’t disagree with that , early in the morning and late evening, night almost impossible to see

Comment

Agreed but after the fact you would know it happened.

Comment

Per TPWD:

Lights Required
              All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility.

Navigation Lights
              Power Driven Vessels Underway: Power driven vessels of less than 20 meters (65.6 ft.) but more than 12 meters (39.4 ft.) shall exhibit navigation lights as shown in Figure 1. Vessels of less than 12 meters in length, shall show the lights in either Figure 1 or Figure 2.

Manually Driven Vessels when Paddled, Poled, Oared or Windblown

All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.
              Last edited by Greenheadless; 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

If you've ever spent any time in a yak on the coast you know it's very possible to get hit. Crossing the Aransas channel in a yak during a busy day is very nerve racking. Tugs, freighters, yachts & off shore boats move pretty fast thru there.
                Prayers out to the family...
                Last edited by Pablo Honey; 05-27-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Agreed but after the fact you would know it happened.
                  Definitely.. I was pretty shook up

Comment

When I used to kayak...those barges would actually suck my kayak toward them when they incoming

Comment

I could easily see and understand a boater not knowing they hit a kayak/angler.

Let's look at the facts: The body was "found" at 7 AM. The unidentified kayaker "May" have put in well before sunrise and attempted to make it across the channel without lights (Kayakers are required to have lights on their vessel). "If" that was the case and the unknown boater was legally cruising the channel and scanning for other marine lights, they "May" not have seen anything. Even a smaller bay boat wouldn't feel too much of a disturbance running over a kayak/angler. I've hit submersed debris in my bay boat before after flooded debris washed into the bays and it barely was noticileable. Granted, I still turned around to see what I hit and checked the lower unit/prop.

Basically, I'm just saying it's possible someone ran them over and never even knew what they were, especially if it was before sunrise or sometime during the previous night.

Comment

There were a pile of drownings along the Texas coast this weekend. It’s very unfortunate these could’ve been prevented. Several were teenagers, if you cant stand don’t go. Under tow probably for most due to the wind. Swim with the shore and don’t panic. Id hate to be one of those parents. Heart breaking!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randell View Post
                          There were a pile of drownings along the Texas coast this weekend. It’s very unfortunate these could’ve been prevented. Several were teenagers, if you cant stand don’t go. Under tow probably for most due to the wind. Swim with the shore and don’t panic. Id hate to be one of those parents. Heart breaking!!!

News was full of under tow drownings from TX to the Carolina’s.

Comment

There was a female kayaker tha drown in the Brazos this weekend too. She had on a PFD but got hung up in trees apparently. They were rolling 10k+cfs out of grandbury at the time.

Sad deal all around.

Comment

a sad and tragic story ending

Comment

Working...
                              X