Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menard/Mason/Brady 2019-2020 season

Originally posted by MenardCountyBow View Post
    Anybody know of a good place to get in the river around menard or ft mckavett? Next time we come down will try to go play in the river

There is a local hangout up the road (on 190) from Kaufmans feed store a few miles.

It's a road called Bois D Arc. it has a river crossing with a great water spot to splash around in.

We've always had a good time swimming there and the locals were always talkative.

This is about the best pic I have showing what the water hole looks like-
    Last edited by DaveC; 07-28-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      There is a local hangout up the road (on 190) from Kaufmans feed store a few miles.

It's a road called Bois D Arc. it has a river crossing with a great water spot to splash around in.

We've always had a good time swimming there and the locals were always talkative.

Thanks for telling everybody about “redneck crossing.” Enjoy yourself there but stay in the water. Landowners around there don’t play if you trespass.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you sir. Just looking for a place to cool off next trip

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Thanks for telling everybody about “redneck crossing.” Enjoy yourself there but stay in the water. Landowners around there don’t play if you trespass.

You’ve got a point, in hindsight I should have sent him a pm.

I used to head over there for a splash after paying my corn tax at Kothman’s. I do like their apple corn though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok trophy8, you asked for it. I have been taking advantage of these cool mornings, jogging my hounds to try to keep them in shape and training on a couple of young gyps. I had a little bad luck a couple of days ago as my best dog, Jill treed a coon, climbed as usual and fell out in a rock pile. I thought that she was okay as I continued to hunt but the next morning, found her dead in the kennel. The youngsters better come along as there are some really big shoes to fill.
            About the antler growth; antlers on free ranging bucks without supplemental protein are 30-40% better than last year. This is for two very obvious reasons. One, it has rained and rained since last August, about the time it dries out, we get another good rain so natural browse is WAY about average. The second reason is that most of the better looking bucks are three and four years old, not showing to be really mature such as five years old and above. While we had a dry springs for the last couple of years, overall precipitation has not been that bad and these bucks developed healthy bodies though were short in antlers because of the poor springs. Now we have had the great spring and they are at ages where most of the nutrition that they take in will go to antler growth rather than growing a body.
            I have seen two groups of bucks with 7 in each group and several groups of 3-5. I am also seeing more 10 point bucks than normal. I have not seen a buck that I thought was in the 7+ age though I am afraid that these bucks were so adversely affected by the drought of 2011 and 2012 that they will never be great antlered bucks.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

I used to head over there for a splash after paying my corn tax at Kothman’s. I do like their apple corn though.

Delete the post lol that’s right by us

Comment

We usually get our corn at Kothmans as well

Comment

That is a super cool looking spot to chill in [emoji41][emoji1689]

Good luck to all y’all out there

Comment

Kaufmans has Apple Corn???? If so I will be making the drive......

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      They do have it. Smells great

Comment

Anyone seeing Axis? We hunt off of 19 west about 12 miles out of town. We get a few stragglers every once in a while.

Comment

I think that the axis population west of Menard along the river is and has been increasing for several years. You should begin to see more and more of them however, axis tend to drift around where food is better where whitetails will stay in one place and starve.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

By the way, it is Kothmann's rather than Kaufman's.

Comment

Menard/Mason/Brady 2019-2020 season

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            They blend it together there at their store. A call ahead to make sure they have what you want on hand would prevent a wasted trip or give them time to brew up enough batch to fill your needs.

I’ve been using it for years. I’ve heard some complain it’s too dusty, but I’m pretty sure the dust is the apple flavoring.
                            The bags are a clear plastic with ventilation holes. They have about 80% the strength of regular bags, so watch throwing them around or they will bust at the seams.

Comment

They blend it together there at their store. A call ahead to make sure they have what you want on hand would prevent a wasted trip or give them time to brew up enough batch to fill your needs.

I’ve been using it for years. I’ve heard some complain it’s too dusty, but I’m pretty sure the dust is the apple flavoring.
                              The bags are a clear plastic with ventilation holes. They have about 80% the strength of regular bags, so watch throwing them around or they will bust at the seams.

10-4 thanks.
                              I haven't used apple scented corn in years but back when I did the deer preferred it over the regular stuff all day, everyday....

Comment

Any one been up to check out the Dove numbers? Heard the grass is tall at our place in Brady.

Comment

Working...
                                X