5gallon corn feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5gallon corn feeder?

I want to make a corn feeder with a 5gallon bucket that does not use a motor.(holes on side or bottom) Is there anyone who has made something similar that was a success?

My buddy has one that has a hole cut in the bottom with a stick in it and when they hit the stick corn comes out.

Comment

I have the bumper style with pvc don't work well, what i do is cut hole in bottom of bucket for a funnel to fit silicone in, cut plywood to size of the bottom of the bucket, drill three holes in plywood and bucket triangular to match cut funnel down hole should be about 1.5 inches, and adjust height of bolts so corn will flow to fill area between wood and bottom of bucket, gravity, wind and deer can make corn fall to wood and some to ground but not all run out stays dry and you can tell from a distance when empty or clogged by no corn on board, hang from limb where wind and low enough for deer to eat from wood platform.I use a small carbiner tied to rope and hang for easy refill, I will try to get pics in am as i have one in shop now.

Comment

Thanks Bobby that sounds pretty neat. Pictures would be great!

Comment

5 Gallon feeder

This is one of mine works well and cheap. again adjust height and hole in funnel for size corn. hang from a limb for best results. although a tripod would probably work.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I dont have any input/plans on making one but, Man this thread got me to thinking/laughing about the old days (35+years ago) when all we had was bucket feeders. Used to be about all you could buy, since battery operated feeders where just hitting the market and where pretty high dollar. Used to have several of them but you cant hardly find them anymore. Good luck on your project.

Comment

I know what you mean i still have and use a 6" corrugated black pipe 5' tall for a feeder still works fine after all these years. simple to make and use, cut bottom at 35 degrees, find location, tie to tree and adjust bottom so corn falls out bottom, cap and done, holds 50 Lbs corn. can tell from a distance when empty, no corn piled at bottom.

Comment

As a side note for a location of new feeder to start deer feeding sooner i screw a jar of peanut butter to a tree deer nose height, cut bottom off spread some on limbs close by, and deer love it, this will be at a 90 degree to tree.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures I'm going to try and make one soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Kody The Great View Post
                    My buddy has one that has a hole cut in the bottom with a stick in it and when they hit the stick corn comes out.
                    Could do the same thing with a glass bottle too

Comment

Comment

Comment

Make up some like a pig pipe, they work and will keep the deer kicking them to get the corn to fall out of the holes. We have several that we have staked to T posts with wire cable. As of now we don't have hogs so the deer have the access when they want. We use these in conjunction with the 55 gallon auto feeders, they usually get set out about 2 weeks before season.

Before the auto feeders, we used 2 liter pop bottles, filled them with corn and threw them out near the area we hunted. Throw out a few handfuls of corn in the area of the bottles and the deer will find the bottles. Problem with the bottles is they get scattered all over the pasture and had to be picked up, the pig pipes only need to be refilled.

Comment

if you can find a metal bucket you can cut out several triangles big enough so deer can eat the corn out of it and it is fast simple and works dont cut the triangle completely out fold it back and that will keep all the corn from falling out at once

Comment

Working...
                            X