No announcement yet.

Q for the knifemakers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Rockwell Hardness tester if you ever want to know how hard it is send me one and I'll check it and mail it back to you.
    Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
      I have a Rockwell Hardness tester if you ever want to know how hard it is send me one and I'll check it and mail it back to you.
      Anthony
      will a Rockwell hardness tester work on my brothers head?

Comment

It is pretty heavy it might not test it but it could probably crack it open which there have been times i'd like to do it to my Bro in law

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
          Anthony
          Thanks for the offer and I may just take you up on it.

Comment

Since those are carbon steel you can reheat treat if your not satisfied just a couple of pointers after it becomes nonmagnetic you'll want to take it up a couple of hundred degrees further magnets drop at 1400 F and critical mass is around 1550 also the trip from the heat into the oil will lose about a hundred as you want to ease the knife into the oil tip first and once in the oil don't move the tip around as it will become brittle if you do your oil needs to be around 80 - 90 F after you quench you want to wire brush the scale off you can use a handheld or wire wheel on a grinder then let it sit for at least 8 hours as the RA (retained austenite) is still transforming to martensite which is what you want to hold an edge! Then you temper at 400 F which should bring your rockwell up around 58-59 but only temper for 1 hour then turn the oven off and let cool slow. 8 hrs. later repeat your temper and drop your temp to 390 since your not using an evenheat oven the temps. are approx and you don't want your second temper to compromise your first. GOOD LUCK! Chops

Comment

Working...
            X