Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep pork loin moist while smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep pork loin moist while smoking?

Justagirl here...wife of Justaguy! Poor guy can't catch a break and I have a beautiful pork loin that I took all the fat off of before rubbing it down in spicy brown mustard and covering it my special "butt rub". It's in the refrigerator "chillin" overnight before we smoke it tomorrow. I say he can't catch a break because I never leave the fat on anything and he is expected to smoke this sucker and still keep it moist! After I completely made it nude of all visible fat I realized that though it's healthy....it may be not so smart from a smoking perspective. He says wrap it in bacon...I say..."uh....NO!"
    Any suggestions from you BBQ aficionados? What's the best way to keep it moist?

Thanks for the tips and for letting me step foot in the land of the "green screen" that steals away my better half.

Wrap it in bacon, actually the bacon doesn't do a lot for moisture and is more of flavor thing.

Mist it with equal parts Jack Daniels and Apple Juice. Get the outer layer damp each time. Then about half way through wrap it in foil and mist it before you close the foil. That will let it roast in those juices keeping it moist.

Also don't over cook it. When it's internal temp get's to 165 pull it off the heat, wrap it in another layer of foil, and let it set for 30 minutes.

The problem most people have with pork loins is they try to cook them like a brisket and it's a completely different kind of meat that needs to be cooked differently.

Comment

Why would you cut all the fat off before you cook it? That is where the flavor and moisture is. After you cook it, then you can cut the fat off...
      Just a suggestion..

Comment

Start it on the smoker "frozen like a brick"
        This is my trick with chicken breast as well!

Comment

Shouldn't take more than 1.5-2hrs. As stated above, 165 degrees and pull it. Wrap it in a towel and throw it in an icechest for a half hour. Sandwiches for a week!!!

Comment

It not that big of a deal...no fat is fine..You could inject it with some of that fat free spray butter and cajun seasoning. If your worried about losing moisture sear it on a hot grill to seal moisture in and then smoke it with mesquite...i say mesquite cause the smoke is strong and wont take longto stick to the meat. 30 min of smoke on low heat 160ish. Then wrap it up tight on foil and let it go a while. I usually push the sealed foil. When it gives the meat is starting to break down. pull it out and get some flames on it for a little char. good flavor.

If you cant get the flames on it try this. Mix what ever you marinaded it with a little tequila or whiskey. pour it on the meat and it will flame up and burn out. The sugars in the marinade will carmelize and hold alot of flavor.

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              Shouldn't take more than 1.5-2hrs. As stated above, 165 degrees and pull it. Wrap it in a towel and throw it in an icechest for a half hour. Sandwiches for a week!!!
              Keep the smoker heat about 250 for 1.5-2 hrs, and it should be fine.

Comment

I thought we were supposed to brine that dry piece of meat for 2 days first. I think Travis suggest a brine or am I delirious. Anyway it works.

Comment

Working...
                X