Food Plot Seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Seed

I have been trying to find diffrerent seeds for my plots back in Bastrop. I always seem to only find premixed varietys that I feel are not really geared for my specific region. Does anyone know where a good place to get a variety of different seeds in Austin area? Just thought I would try to make my own blend.

I order smaller seeds such as clovers and radishes online from Welters. Also get innoculants from them.

Comment

Mail order from Turner Seed.

Comment

What are you looking to plant?

Like kenfa03...I have ordered Ground Hog Radishes from Welter's in Iowa....great service. They have everything...I mean everything. Radishes, Turnips, Rye, Wheat, Oats, Red/Crimson/White clover, Kale, and on and on.
        They pay half the shipping on orders more than 50#'s.

You can get white clover (Durana) at Home Depot.
        Oats and wheat is available at just about any local feed store.
        Producer's Coop in Bryan has a good selection of things like Cereal Rye, Oats, Wheat, Chicory.

Comment

Any feedstore should have oats and wheat at least and probably some clovers and brassicas.

For your area you will be just fine by just planting oats/wheat. Just make sure you plant a good sized area, don't do just a quarter acre or something unless you have very low deer density.

Comment

Turner Seed Co. in Breckenridge or Pogue Agri-Partners in Kenedy for wildlife mixes or custom mixes made for you.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

You can get white clover (Durana) at Home Depot..
              I would like to get Durana but I checked numerous Home Depots in the Houston area and did not find it. Which one did you find it?

Comment

Originally posted by River Rider View Post
                I have been trying to find diffrerent seeds for my plots back in Bastrop. I always seem to only find premixed varietys that I feel are not really geared for my specific region. Does anyone know where a good place to get a variety of different seeds in Austin area? Just thought I would try to make my own blend.
                That may be the best thing. I use a blend called Buck Buster and the deer in my area love it and it handled deer and hogs eating it. I was impressed with the way it kept growing inspite of browsing pressure it took. What ever you do over seed with Winter Wheat.

Comment

Thanks for the help got a good idea where to start. Should have my soil test back soon I will keep you updated.

Comment

Callahan's General Store will have anything you want to plant. There is a store off 183 by the airpot.

Comment

Turnips do really well in this area too. Most of the feed stores have it in bulk and you can mix it with what ever you plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                        I would like to get Durana but I checked numerous Home Depots in the Houston area and did not find it. Which one did you find it?
                        Sorry about that. Its been since last year since I bought from them. I just checked them online and they will ship to any store for free for pickup and will ship to your house for free with a $45/purchase. The clover is $41.87 for a 5 pound bag.

Comment

Thanks. I forgot about Callahan's somehow. That's right down the road from my work. I will check them out too.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                            Mail order from Turner Seed.
                            this^^^^they will have it if you want it, and the're good folks to boot.

Comment

Working...
                            X