Project National Forest Withdrawal (NFW) has Began

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project National Forest Withdrawal (NFW) has Began

We recently moved to New Waverly and have 13.5 acres that connects to the national forest that isn't close to many access points that we live on. The quest to pull deer in has begun and I am going to be testing many different types of feeds, attractants, and food plots. I am hoping that I can help out some of the east tx / small tract land guys by the end of this and narrow down what really works and give a helping hand. Cause just putting corn on the ground in East Tx doesn't work... well. I hunt East, West, and South Tx and I am convinced after discussing with many of my friends who raise deer there is a science into getting east tx deer to come to feed, even with acorns on the ground. Finding fats and items that increase intake is possible, even on low fence deer.

1. We have a 3/4 acre pond within 10 yards of the NF. Solid water supply.

2. I have had a corn feeder running for 30 days. No deer on camera. Lots of deer tracks around pond though. Obviously too much to eat right now with the rain to be worried about corn. Going to mix peas and peanuts in with corn and give that a shot this next fill up.

3. Protein trough feeders are going up this weekend. One for dry, one for soaked. I will keep fresh protein in it soaked in different oils. I will start with Peanut oil, then go to soy oil, then possibly hemp oil. Each one will get at least two months of evaluation.

4. Rice bran feeder is going up this weekend also away from the protein feeder as a test to see what is hitting it versus protein. Going to mix some of the jello in also and give that a shot.

5. Food plots are going in in the next month, probably 1/4 acre small plots to see what is being hit first.

6. Hemp plots are going in as well to try later this summer. Too much buzz from deer farmers on a 30% protein plant not to try.

7. Cotton seed will be tried also.

8. This fall shelled pecans will be tried also.

I am going to keep a photo & written journal throughout the next few years to see what works seasonally and what the deer will chose over native vegetation. I live on the place so fresh feed and weekly photos will be checked. I have also put field fence around the entire property to keep the hogs out, so this will be a straight deer test. I'll be posting regularly so if you have any ideas or have items you have tried or would like to see given a legitimate shot post on here.

Let the games begin.

Jeremy

This should be cool!

Comment

Welcome to the area! I work in New Waverly. Some nice deer have been killed out of the National Forest around here the past couple seasons. I'm very interested to see what ends up working the best for you. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like a well thought-out plan! Thanks for taking us along

Comment

Food plots will work better than anything in a feeder!

Comment

Man I wouldn't restrict yourself to just your property. If there's not ready access to the general public to that that part of the forest I wouldn't hesitate to venture out there and see what you find. Sounds like you've got yourself a great little set-up.

Comment

Food plots work and I love putting them in....but to me bedding and staging areas are more important than plots. They spend WAY more time in those areas than eating.

Do you have some thick areas on your place? Could be a real haven once the pressure of public land hunting starts.

Comment

Following

Comment

Great thread idea. I grew up hunting SHNF around New Waverly and camping/fishing at Stubblefield Lake.

Comment

If you plant peanuts in your food plot, they will come.

Comment

Pea patch

Comment

Originally posted by CornSlinger View Post
                        We recently moved to New Waverly and have 13.5 acres that connects to the national forest that isn't close to many access points that we live on. The quest to pull deer in has begun and I am going to be testing many different types of feeds, attractants, and food plots. I am hoping that I can help out some of the east tx / small tract land guys by the end of this and narrow down what really works and give a helping hand. Cause just putting corn on the ground in East Tx doesn't work... well. I hunt East, West, and South Tx and I am convinced after discussing with many of my friends who raise deer there is a science into getting east tx deer to come to feed, even with acorns on the ground. Finding fats and items that increase intake is possible, even on low fence deer.

1. We have a 3/4 acre pond within 10 yards of the NF. Solid water supply.

2. I have had a corn feeder running for 30 days. No deer on camera. Lots of deer tracks around pond though. Obviously too much to eat right now with the rain to be worried about corn. Going to mix peas and peanuts in with corn and give that a shot this next fill up.

3. Protein trough feeders are going up this weekend. One for dry, one for soaked. I will keep fresh protein in it soaked in different oils. I will start with Peanut oil, then go to soy oil, then possibly hemp oil. Each one will get at least two months of evaluation.

4. Rice bran feeder is going up this weekend also away from the protein feeder as a test to see what is hitting it versus protein. Going to mix some of the jello in also and give that a shot.

5. Food plots are going in in the next month, probably 1/4 acre small plots to see what is being hit first.

6. Hemp plots are going in as well to try later this summer. Too much buzz from deer farmers on a 30% protein plant not to try.

7. Cotton seed will be tried also.

8. This fall shelled pecans will be tried also.

I am going to keep a photo & written journal throughout the next few years to see what works seasonally and what the deer will chose over native vegetation. I live on the place so fresh feed and weekly photos will be checked. I have also put field fence around the entire property to keep the hogs out, so this will be a straight deer test. I'll be posting regularly so if you have any ideas or have items you have tried or would like to see given a legitimate shot post on here.

Let the games begin.

Jeremy
                        Try "Buckbusters" plot mix. Excellent for this area. Been using it for several years and they just eat it up and the plot doesnt die...best stuff I have ever used and it is not expensive.

Comment

Have Fun with it. you will learn alot

Comment

Were you getting the Buck Buster seed..

Comment

13.5 acres of oats and Austrian winter peas during the winter should draw them in nicely!!! Now where exactly is this place?? . Might draw in some fence line hunters too with that buffet.

Comment

Working...
                              X