Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, that didn't go as planned! At least nobody got hurt.... yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the 64 from them a few years ago and moved it by myself. I am 100% sure I could not do it today!

Comment

If you can, take the door off and you will save a ton of weight.

Comment

Moving a safe is a good way to get hurt....

I moved one like the one in your picture using golf balls, but getting it down the ramp from the trailer was the tricky part.

The last safe I bought off here was too heavy for my tractor to pick up, but we basically dragged it on the forks to get it into the garage, then put it on top of 4 of those 1000 pound movers dollies, two of which it promptly destroyed.

A set of safe mover dollies is about 500 hundred bucks.

If I move another one, I will have a set of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          Moving a safe is a good way to get hurt....

I moved one like the one in your picture using golf balls, but getting it down the ramp from the trailer was the tricky part.

The last safe I bought off here was too heavy for my tractor to pick up, but we basically dragged it on the forks to get it into the garage, then put it on top of 4 of those 1000 pound movers dollies, two of which it promptly destroyed.

A set of safe mover dollies is about 500 hundred bucks.

If I move another one, I will have a set of them.
          My next safe will be a true vault, and built in place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

the easiest way to safely move a safe is with roundstock. cut about 6-10 pieces a little shorter than the depth of your safe. and role on top of 3/4 plywood cut into strips just narrow enough to fit in your door. once on the first one or two pieces of round stock, one guy can push a 64 gun safe by himself. I have moved bank safes much bigger than that safe over the years. use half inch round stock. Easiest. safest, and fastest method. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
              the easiest way to safely move a safe is with roundstock. cut about 6-10 pieces a little shorter than the depth of your safe. and role on top of 3/4 plywood cut into strips just narrow enough to fit in your door. once on the first one or two pieces of round stock, one guy can push a 64 gun safe by himself. I have moved bank safes much bigger than that safe over the years. use half inch round stock. Easiest. safest, and fastest method. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              Our problem was getting it off the trailer and onto the dollies.

Comment

That sucks man, I hope still functions properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3/4 pvc makes great rollers

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
                    That sucks man, I hope still functions properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    It seems to. The lock mechanism does anyway and the door came open until stopped by the ratchet strap. Can't do much else with it until I get it off the tractor and can't get it off the tractor until we figure out what's wrong with the bobcat. Someone about a "key switch fault" but the thing doesn't use a key. You enter a code and push a button.

Comment

I rolled mine on about 4 pieces of 3 inch pvc it worked great

Comment

That’s the one I’m wanting. How much does it weigh? I moved my smaller one by myself it goes about 300lbs. That’s about all I care to handle by myself.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                          That’s the one I’m wanting. How much does it weigh? I moved my smaller one by myself it goes about 300lbs. That’s about all I care to handle by myself.
                          840lbs according to the tag on the door...... and it's every last ounce of that. Buddy and I couldn't budge it by hand in any direction. Had to winch it to the edge of the trailer, get it to the balance point, tilt it off the trailer onto the dolly, then jack up the back half and drive out from under it. The plan was then to slowly let the jack down until the safe rested on some cribbing, but we didn't get that far. As soon as we started lowering it down, the balance shifted and down she went.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                            840lbs according to the tag on the door...... and it's every last ounce of that. Buddy and I couldn't budge it by hand in any direction. Had to winch it to the edge of the trailer, get it to the balance point, tilt it off the trailer onto the dolly, then jack up the back half and drive out from under it. The plan was then to slowly let the jack down until the safe rested on some cribbing, but we didn't get that far. As soon as we started lowering it down, the balance shifted and down she went.

Wow ! That’s got me worried now. How in the world am I going to get one of those in my bedroom. I wonder how much a moving company would charge ?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                              Wow ! That’s got me worried now. How in the world am I going to get one of those in my bedroom. I wonder how much a moving company would charge ?
                              I paid a moving company to move my big one. It cost me $400.00 to move a $1000.00 safe 45 Miles. They still ruined the flooring in the Laundry room because one of guys would not listen to me. He tried to scoot it on a corner and as you can imagine.....it tore through the vinyl flooring and peeled an 8" wide strip up. I was not real happy with them.

Comment

Yikes!! Mine is a smaller one and my son and I moved it by ourselves with an appliance dolly. It was not something I'll do again. If we ever move I'm hiring movers to do it all. Glad nobody was hurt!!

Comment

Working...
                                X