.375 Ruger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.375 Ruger

Any members have any experience with this round?

In to find out as I’m thinking about building one.

Comment

It is difficult to argue any real-world performance difference between the two. Case configuration/taper for the H&H lead to more fluid ramping/chambering from below and I find to be more aesthetically pleasing. :-) Ruger ammo availability is good here in the states, but every PH's Rover in Africa has boxes of H&H in it if you get in a bind. I don't think even the most seasoned hunter/shooter can tell a difference between the two rounds. Simply a matter of preference. The Ruger is gaining popularity as they are making a big bore rifle in an inexpensive (beater class) package. If building a rifle I would think the venerable H&H would have more allure. In the alternative, the .375 WBY or UltraMag outperform both the Ruger and H&H. Then again, you won't find those rounds rolling around on the bottom of your PH's ride (but can shoot H&H in WBY in a pinch).

Comment

I have a .375 H&H which is pretty much the same.
        Cool gun. Recoil is not as bad as my .338 Ultra mag or full out 45/70 rounds and it will kill any animal in the world. I have seen it take a Elephant off it's feet.
        It is a little hard on deer but it does kill them "Real Dead" as my grandson says
        Click image for larger version

Name:	195 - Copy.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	24543660

Comment

I really want one just because it's cool!!! Love to line up 3-4 pigs and cut loose.

Comment

Oh yes, the 375 Ruger will do the job. I have used it on nilgai. My personal preference is for the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, which handles well, shoots accurately, and really just feels like a big 30-06.

I reload for mine and don’t even bother with max loads. Even on nilgai a mild load with 300gr SGK’s went all the way through. I have always wanted to try the 260 NAB on a big animal, as those seem to be the best combination of weight, construction, and BC.

I highly recommend the 375 Ruger if you’re at all curious about it. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

Very nice caliber.
              I used my Ruger .375 in Alaska about 7-8 years ago for a black bear hunt. I was stalking a bear along the beach and it went into the woods and I walked in closer. It then came back out of the woods at 20 yards and I dropped it in its tracks.

I eventually sold it and bought a .375 H&H only because I wanted a more mainstream caliber for ammo availability purposes mostly

Comment

I have 2 one in the Ruger Guide gun that is my wife's and one in the Alaskan that I use. On my first safari I took kudu, bush buck and warthog and my wife shot a giraffe all with the 375 and 300 grain Rhino solid shank bullets. when we are there this August we both will be carrying our 375's loaded with 300 grain North Fork Solid Shank bullets loaded by Hendershots.

Comment

I was thinking about getting one

Comment

I am pretty sure for 98% of anything in N.America it would be considered overkill. That being said, I still want one for pretty in the category of wanting one.

Comment

It kills stuff real dead and has a trajectory like slow pitch soft ball if I recall. Haven’t hunted with one since I was in college. Can be a fun one!

Comment

Working...
                      X