Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #51
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
I was hoping those were in the same price range as the Hatsun bullpup guns I was looking at but guess I will need to keep saving. Is it just a better quality of parts for the more expensive guns? interested newbie here that is just going on fps numbers, and they are similar on these guns. I honestly thought they would be higher fps being charged versus the break barrel guns like my buddy got. I think his is supposed to be 12-1300. I will continue to read up on these since I have the bug now
A good way to find out a lot about these PCP guns and other air guns and how they operate as well as important characteristics about air guns in general is to get on You Tube and search for Teds Holdover... He has done a lot of videos on the whole science of air guns (Well that is unless You tube has taken down the gun videos lately)... In the early days Ted did a lot of nice how to and "why" videos on air guns... then because of his popularity on You tube, he got sponsors and his newer videos are little more than infomercials for his sponsors.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #52
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
If I was a right hand shooter, the Cricket would top my list. However, I'm a lefty. I still shoot the Cricket a lot, but I have to dismount the gun to work the cocking lever and when shooting, it is embedded into my cheek bone. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. the Vulcan is ambidextrous so I was able to set it up for left hand shooting. The .25 Cricket is also way heavier than the Vulcan. If you look at the pic of the 2 crickets (first pic in my post), the top gun is the .25. Originally, it had the same stock on it as the .22. I took a reciprocating saw, grinder and lots of sandpaper to the stock to lighten it up. I was able to take out 1.1 pounds of plastic out of that stock!! I used my soldering pen gun to stipple the hand grip and fore end. It actually came out pretty nice. Both the Cricket and Vulcan are accurate to the extreme, but the Cricket is tuned a little hotter (about 930 fps) than the Vulcan (895 fps) so the Cricket hits with a bit more punch and shoots a little flatter. If you know your range accurately though, you can shoot very accurately and consistently out to 100 yards with good ammo. ( I usually shoot JSB Kings 25.9 grain pellets)...
Thank you!
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #53
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Slick, I appreciate the rundown. I now know way more than I did about these guns.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #54
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Mine is still in the classifieds if anybody wants to get in the PCP game cheaply
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #55
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

What does PCP mean?
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #56
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote: