Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land purchase in Alamosa, Colorado? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land purchase in Alamosa, Colorado? Thoughts?

Whether you want to play at the beach at the Great Sand Dunes National Park, hike to Zapata Falls or spend a relaxing day aboard the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad, any adventure you choose will be unforgettable.

I may have a chance to purchase bare land here. It is only 13.5 acres but supposedly some elk have been known to cross it. It is about 11 miles out of New Mexico. Would you buy property here? High Dessert? Elk bull tags appear to be draw per the link but not sure how difficult it is. What are land values going for their......anybody?
    Thanks for any insight folks!

Keep an eye on the spring fire to see if there will be anything left.
    Not looking good for that area right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
      Keep an eye on the spring fire to see if there will be anything left.
      Not looking good for that area right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Good dang point, but it is bare land. It will grow back over time and new sprouts brings better hunting!!!
      Wow...…….18 hours one way! Not far from Taos New mexico or Trinidad, Colorado!
      Last edited by Landrover; 07-05-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I wouldn’t purchase a small tract of land like that to hunt unless it borders the national forest or blm land.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
          I wouldn’t purchase a small tract of land like that to hunt unless it borders the national forest or blm land.
          Yes, attempting to figure that out now. If elk and deer are crossing it I wonder if that is not the case. He is looking for his deed.

Comment

I heard once that Trinidad was the sex change capital of the world, so....you got that going for you....or not....

Seriously though, you could shoot across 13 acres. I'm with parkchief, it's too small unless it borders a large tract of public. If you wanted to build and live there, that's something else.

Comment

Have you been to Alamosa? Go and you may change your mind. If you’re only looking at a couple acres there are nicer places to be

Comment

Looks like it is in Unit 80 or 81 which look easy to draw. That's probably not a good sign for the quality of elk hunting. Plus trying to kill an elk on 13.5 acres would be probably be tough. Does it give you access to any public land? Is the mule deer hunting good? Thought that general area of CO was supposed to have good muleys.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I heard once that Trinidad was the sex change capital of the world, so....you got that going for you....or not....

Seriously though, you could shoot across 13 acres. I'm with parkchief, it's too small unless it borders a large tract of public. If you wanted to build and live there, that's something else.
                  LMAO!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that Trinidad had that rep......last time I was their I must have missed it.
                  If I shoot an arrow across 13.5 acres at a critter I need to be re-trained!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                    Have you been to Alamosa? Go and you may change your mind. If you’re only looking at a couple acres there are nicer places to be
                    Gotcha! Definitely not looking to live there.
                    Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
                    Looks like it is in Unit 80 or 81 which look easy to draw. That's probably not a good sign for the quality of elk hunting. Plus trying to kill an elk on 13.5 acres would be probably be tough. Does it give you access to any public land? Is the mule deer hunting good? Thought that general area of CO was supposed to have good muleys.
                    Yes, the website says good muleys, pronghorn, etc. Trying to get deed now to see if it borders public land.

Comment

Does it have utilities? Well? Septic? Or will that be an addition to the land cost? Does it have an easement to access?

Those little ranchettes are all over in that area.

Comment

Its in a bowl with mountains pretty much all around it. I wasn't impressed with Alamosa driving through but never spent much time there. There is a lot of agriculture fields there with Muleys hitting them. I stay in South Fork to the West which is a great town along with Creede. Great fishing, lots of National forest to hunt. OTC elk tags and pretty easy to draw Mule Deer in unit 80/81. There is some decent waterfowling there in the valley. Del Norte has a Crane fest and there are some of the best tasting potatoes grown in that area.

For me it would depend on where the property was. If it was West of town I would do it. Try to find a farmer you could hunt on his fields for MD. I have seen some BIG ones. Near town, probably not.

From Spring you can make it in about 15 hours.

Someone on here is from Westcliffe. He would have a lot more info thatn me as its a short drive from there. I will see if I can find him. PM me if you have any other questions. Happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          Does it have utilities? Well? Septic? Or will that be an addition to the land cost? Does it have an easement to access?

Those little ranchettes are all over in that area.
                          Easement would be the only thing that concerns me...……..and bordering some bigger ground. Not looking to build anything, probably wont even bring my travel trailer up there. I did see on a real estate site that ranchettes of 10 acres were abundant. This has been owned for 30 years , so hopefully something before all that ranchette stuff got popular.

Comment

jefandaward was from Westcliffe. Looks like he moved. PM him

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                              Its in a bowl with mountains pretty much all around it. I wasn't impressed with Alamosa driving through but never spent much time there. There is a lot of agriculture fields there with Muleys hitting them. I stay in South Fork to the West which is a great town along with Creede. Great fishing, lots of National forest to hunt. OTC elk tags and pretty easy to draw Mule Deer in unit 80/81. There is some decent waterfowling there in the valley. Del Norte has a Crane fest and there are some of the best tasting potatoes grown in that area.

For me it would depend on where the property was. If it was West of town I would do it. Try to find a farmer you could hunt on his fields for MD. I have seen some BIG ones. Near town, probably not.

From Spring you can make it in about 15 hours.

Someone on here is from Westcliffe. He would have a lot more info thatn me as its a short drive from there. I will see if I can find him. PM me if you have any other questions. Happy to help.
                              Great insight!!! Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X