Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #51
rtjh
Four Point

How anybody can justify brake checking or purposely camping out in the left lane just to annoy the vehicles behind is beyond my comprehension.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #52
shea.mcphail
Four Point

Hunt In: Canton

Never. Ever. Brake check. Thatís insane to advise someone to do.
shea.mcphail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #53
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

It seems there is never a shortage of these threads...
If someone is close behind you, what’s so hard about getting the hell out of the way?
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #54
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county

Amen to that..... but it will never happen ! To many idiots on the road!
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #55
BowFever
Nubbin' Buck

Scroll down to the article in the link listed below titled : "Senseless act kills father of three" and read it all... then think about it the next time you want to break check.
Cut and paste it in search engine.
Site will not let me post links yet.

/theexaminer.com/sites/default/files/Examiner120202.pdf

Thanks.
BowFever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #56
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

I get angry when people brake check me. You won’t like me when I get angry.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 12:05 AM   #57
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
How anybody can justify brake checking or purposely camping out in the left lane just to annoy the vehicles behind is beyond my comprehension.
It's pretty funny to watch the tough guys get angry
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #58
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default Again...if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
I get angry when people brake check me. You wonít like me when I get angry.

I can deal with slow left lane drivers but what I canít stand is the idiots who pass on the right lane shoulder. If you pass me on the right lane shoulder Iím hoping you have a short life.

I run 6 to 10 miles over the speed limit anytime Iím on the interstate and there is no reason to pass me on the shoulder but Iíve had it happen a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 06-19-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #59
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxhunterr View Post
Well said

X2, well said.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #60
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Tailgating does a funny thing to my truck. It seems to create a sort of vortex. When it happens, it sucks my foot up off of the gas pedal.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #61
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I rarely have folks run up behind me because I donít move left to pass until that lane is clear and Iíll have time to pass without getting in anybodyís way. I wish more drivers would do the same. The left lane is for passing. Not cruising for five minutes at 1mph faster than the guy on the right.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #62
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Looks like I'm in the minority but I love tailgaters. Soon as they get around me I get this warm fuzzy feeling knowing I can speed up cause they are going to find all the cops for me.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #63
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Tailgating does a funny thing to my truck. It seems to create a sort of vortex. When it happens, it sucks my foot up off of the gas pedal.
I didn't know what it was called but the same thing happens to my truck to
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #64
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Too many of you really enjoy breaking the law.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #65
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
Lol, no kidding. Not to mention, running the risk of never getting to see a wife, kids, the dogs, and hunting ever again after causing a major accident.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #66
rtjh
Four Point

Quote:
It's pretty funny to watch the tough guys get angry
Are you sure you're not the one acting like a tough guy?
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #67
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post

Before you throw too many rocks camping out in the left lane impeding traffic and/or break checking is also illegal. This is such an easy thing to handle. It is all about common courtesy. If I am on a rural highway and someone comes up behind me if there is a good shoulder I just pull over and let them pass. It is safer for everyone and it is the nice thing to do. I was raised that way. If on a bigger highway I always move over to the right lane unless I am passing. It is a pretty simply thing to do. Who am I to assume that I have the right to try and control the behavior of someone else behind me? Maybe they have a sick child? Maybe a child with a small bladder that thinks they are about to bust...LOL. There are lots of reasons that people might feel the need to speed. I cannot imagine what kind of a ***** I would have to be to try and control them. Kind of reminds me of those kids that get picked on all of their lives and then they finally get elected to run one of those HOA things and makes everyone life miserable just because they can.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #68
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

Quote:
Then they win. The passing lane is for passing. If I'm passing someone, why do they continue to tailgate? Its ridiculous and uncalled for.
I didn't know driving on a road was a competition.
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #69
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Etoile, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post

drive thru Houston everyday. You will see

Easttxhunterr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #70
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
Before you throw too many rocks camping out in the left lane impeding traffic and/or break checking is also illegal. This is such an easy thing to handle. It is all about common courtesy. If I am on a rural highway and someone comes up behind me if there is a good shoulder I just pull over and let them pass. It is safer for everyone and it is the nice thing to do. I was raised that way. If on a bigger highway I always move over to the right lane unless I am passing. It is a pretty simply thing to do. Who am I to assume that I have the right to try and control the behavior of someone else behind me? Maybe they have a sick child? Maybe a child with a small bladder that thinks they are about to bust...LOL. There are lots of reasons that people might feel the need to speed. I cannot imagine what kind of a ***** I would have to be to try and control them. Kind of reminds me of those kids that get picked on all of their lives and then they finally get elected to run one of those HOA things and makes everyone life miserable just because they can.

-john
Well said.
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #71
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
Agree you never know if its an emergency or not.

I also loved the civilian high beam light patrol on the road. I worked nights and my police car had the nice bright regular headlights. I would be fine with people flashing 1 time from far away but then they start flashing repeatedly or turn them on and leave them. Then they got to find out I had more lights with pretty colors and that there was a ticket for that.

I wrote a lot of tickets for impeadong traffic I got a lot of "the guy behind me was tailgating" etc... I usually told them that was wonderful sign here.

If I ever worked an accident where someone break checked someone else I would be making an arrest that's for sure. I wouldnt care if their where injuries or not its still aggravated assault with or without injuries it states serious injuries or exhibits a deadly weapon a car is a deadly weapon espically when used in that manor. I would also tack on every traffic violation I could find and maybe even a criminal mischief charge just for good measure. In my county they would stick.

Hell the District judge where I work gave a guy 99 for 3rd strike when he fled on foot from a officer.

Even if none of the charges stick (which they likely would) it would ruin you because most applications for CHL, Jobs, professional licenses etc... ask if you have been arrested for not convicted of and a background check will show the arrests for the crimes. Not to mention the huge amount of money in legal fees and and lawsuits against you.

But hey its funny to jack with the guy behind you tailgating.

kronik by Diamond
TxKronik is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #72
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I consistently see wrong by both, the ones who ride the left lane and those who tailgate, almost hit you when changing lanes. Seems like we have both in this thread. I am by no means a perfect driver, but some of yall need to realize that riding someones bumper and being all aggressive is often counterproductive. When you display aggression, yes, some will give in, but others respond with aggression. That is bad.

As a side note, being in a vehicle, for some, is kinda like the internet. Some get all emboldened and feel like a tough guy because they are in their little "safe" space. Think about what you would do in person when faced with the same scenario. Would you really try to intimidate and bully that 87 y/o grandma? Or that 6' 4" construction worker? Or are you just a bada-- in your big truck?
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #73
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

IF someone is tailgating you in the left lane, 1 of 2 things happened. You didn't pass the vehicle in the right lane in a timely manner, or you switched lanes with out checking to see if you had anyone running up the left lane. Moving to the left lane when approaching a slower vehicle, to avoid losing cruise control, when another vehicle is approaching, is just as courteous as tailgating.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #74
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
To expand. What gets me, is on I-10 heading east on a long weekend when the traffic is awful.

And people get in the right lane to pass people in the left, that are generally already speeding. So then people in the left start tailgating each other to keep people from cutting them off from the right lane. I am guilty of it and would say that most go about the same speed and it works for the most part. The system starts breaking down when people start braking for no reason.

I also cant stand when traffic backs up just after Sealy by the Brazos.
The #1 problem on I 10 is an officer always has someone pulled over for not knowing hiw to use the hov and toll lanes.
So the dang lanes have made more fines but worse traffic
cbd10pt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #75
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes but if Iím passing someone and the person behind me is tailgating, they are getting a break check

u are the problem
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #76
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
u are the problem

Please explain to me why you think it is ok to tailgate me while Iím using the passing lane to pass someone

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #77
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbd10pt View Post
The #1 problem on I 10 is an officer always has someone pulled over for not knowing hiw to use the hov and toll lanes.
So the dang lanes have made more fines but worse traffic
Lol, no, everyone knows how to use the HOV and toll lanes. They just try to beat the system and not have to pay for tolls, and get caught. As a person who uses the regular lanes, I hope more people try to beat the system, because it removes cars from my side of the pilons.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #78
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co. Montague Co.

I hate when slow drivers in the fast lane won't get out of the way!!!!
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #79
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

What do y'all think about this one? It doesn't say "Semi's" or "Tractor Trailers", it says trucks. What do you drive?
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #80
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Please explain to me why you think it is ok to tailgate me while Iím using the passing lane to pass someone

If you're brake checking, then you are not using the passing lane to pass. You're being an *******, just like the one tailgating you, and compounding the problem.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #81
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
What do y'all think about this one? It doesn't say "Semi's" or "Tractor Trailers", it says trucks. What do you drive?
A "light truck" or "passenger vehicle" as defined by the DPS.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #82
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxKronik View Post
Agree you never know if its an emergency or not.

I also loved the civilian high beam light patrol on the road. I worked nights and my police car had the nice bright regular headlights. I would be fine with people flashing 1 time from far away but then they start flashing repeatedly or turn them on and leave them. Then they got to find out I had more lights with pretty colors and that there was a ticket for that.

I wrote a lot of tickets for impeadong traffic I got a lot of "the guy behind me was tailgating" etc... I usually told them that was wonderful sign here.

If I ever worked an accident where someone break checked someone else I would be making an arrest that's for sure. I wouldnt care if their where injuries or not its still aggravated assault with or without injuries it states serious injuries or exhibits a deadly weapon a car is a deadly weapon espically when used in that manor. I would also tack on every traffic violation I could find and maybe even a criminal mischief charge just for good measure. In my county they would stick.

Hell the District judge where I work gave a guy 99 for 3rd strike when he fled on foot from a officer.

Even if none of the charges stick (which they likely would) it would ruin you because most applications for CHL, Jobs, professional licenses etc... ask if you have been arrested for not convicted of and a background check will show the arrests for the crimes. Not to mention the huge amount of money in legal fees and and lawsuits against you.

But hey its funny to jack with the guy behind you tailgating.

kronik by Diamond
At least you got that part right
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #83
2coolforschool
Six Point

There’s absolutely no reason to have anything less than a three second cushion behind the car in front of you, regardless of how much of a hurry you are in. On a single lane highway, make the pass or get off my back bumper.

Last edited by 2coolforschool; 06-19-2018 at 08:56 AM.
2coolforschool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #84
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
If you're brake checking, then you are not using the passing lane to pass. You're being an *******, just like the one tailgating you, and compounding the problem.

So if you are me just let the guy tailgate you and go about your marry way? A situation that you guys arenít considering is, vehicle A is using the passing lane to pass vehicle B. Vehicle C begins to tailgate vehicle A. Vehicle B blows a left front tire that inadvertently pulls it into the passing lane. Vehicle A has to slam on the breaks to avoid vehicle B. Wreck may have been avoided but Vehicle C was being a Richard. Again Iím not condoning riding in the passing lane. But when itís being used to pass, show some respect

Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #85
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Again Iím not condoning riding in the passing lane. But when itís being used to pass, show some respect

Agree.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #86
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
A "light truck" or "passenger vehicle" as defined by the DPS.
I figured you would know.
Quote:
So if you are me just let the guy tailgate you and go about your marry way? A situation that you guys arenít considering is, vehicle A is using the passing lane to pass vehicle B. Vehicle C begins to tailgate vehicle A. Vehicle B blows a left front tire that inadvertently pulls it into the passing lane. Vehicle A has to slam on the breaks to avoid vehicle B. Wreck may have been avoided but Vehicle C was being a Richard. Again Iím not condoning riding in the passing lane. But when itís being used to pass, show some respect

Yeah and if a frog had wings.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #87
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
Thats why no one uses their blinker in the city.

You cant let the competition know your next move
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #88
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County & Hallettsville

Quote:

I'm curious...How long does it take you to pass another vehicle?

I'm trying to figure out how someone is tailgating you while you're passing another vehicle. Because in order for that to happen, either:

A) You have to be taking an unrealistic amount of time to pass, in order for another vehicle to "catch up" to you & be tailgating...
B) You jumped in front of another vehicle coming up in the left lane at a high rate of speed...
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #89
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
I'm curious...How long does it take you to pass another vehicle?

I'm trying to figure out how someone is tailgating you while you're passing another vehicle. Because in order for that to happen, either:

A) You have to be taking an unrealistic amount of time to pass, in order for another vehicle to "catch up" to you & be tailgating...
B) You jumped in front of another vehicle coming up in the left lane at a high rate of speed...
happens all the time and even going over the posted speed limit. Also, Its not always one car you are trying to pass
Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #90
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:
I figured you would know.

Yeah and if a frog had wings.
So my scenario is very unrealistic? Cars never have problems on the highway huh? Please!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #91
14JKURX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrob View Post
Do the effin speed limit.... brake check me and I will run through you, then get out and kick the shinola outta you...
Good luck with this!
You may regret your actions. If some Lawyer researching an accident you caused was to find this post you would not like the outcome.
14JKURX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #92
toaster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Doing the speed limit? Stay in the right lane. Come up on someone doing less than the speed limit? Move over to the left, pass, and move over to the right once it's safe. You don't have to floor it but don't take a mile to pass. For the speeders, whether the guy is doing the speed limit or 10 over, if he's passing, get off his butt and wait your turn, then once he moves over, haul butt, get a ticket, complain on a forum about the nanny state. Geez
^^^^^^ Winner!!
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #93
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County & Hallettsville

Quote:
happens all the time and even going over the posted speed limit. Also, Its not always one car you are trying to pass
But that does not explain where this mystery "tailgater" came from.

How is it the tailgater ended up on your bumper?
Where you taking an unrealistic amount of time to pass or did you cut in front of someone?

Just trying to figure out HOW they end up on your bumper tailgating & enough times where it has become an issue for you to comment on....
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #94
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Man I just don't give a **** enough about getting tailgated when I'm passing to get worked up like some of you loose cannons.

I pass, pull to the right and let Jeff Gordon get by if that's the case. No big deal...and **** sure nothing bad enough to brake check somebody and possibly get myself in a wreck that could lead to God knows what....including my own death. That is just plain and simple DUMB to get that worked up and then resort to that risk. Think about it for a second. I mean really... It is nothing more than a total lack of self control and a risk of your own healthy well being.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #95
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Left lane campers definitely are a problem in TX. What's funny is drive like that in some other countries and you will get run right off the road.

I despise I-10 due to so many inconsiderate idiots. Tailgating is not good road etiquette either and does nothing to help the situation. However, if you feel that your are frequently being tailgated, you probably should think about your own driving.

Oh and I'm not a speed demon. Actually, I just assume let the crazy idiots pass me and get the ticket down the road.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #96
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:

Where you taking an unrealistic amount of time to pass or did you cut in front of someone?

Just trying to figure out HOW they end up on your bumper tailgating & enough times where it has become an issue for you to comment on....
Didn't know there was a time limit on passing people.

Where's your scenario of a driver driving way over the speed limit and running up on people trying to obey the law and pass people safely? I mean according to you there's only 2 scenarios where people get tailgated.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #97
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

Quote:

people camp out in the passing lane thinking its the "fast lane" doing 85-90mph all the time.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #98
Easttxhunterr
Ten Point

I'm curious as to how many of you drive thru Houston everyday. There are some down right morons on the rds that don't give a crap
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #99
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
I'm curious as to how many of you drive thru Houston everyday. There are some down right morons on the rds that don't give a crap

Any big city traffic is like that. Dallas, Houston, Austin.... It doesn't mean we need to add to the moron percentage.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #100
Fmjag64
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co. Montague Co.

Quote:

Pass faster! If you're being tailgated, you're probably going too slow in the "pass lane" to begin with. Passing a car shouldn't take 3 miles to do. That said, i am a responsible curious driver, just a fast one. I rarely find myself in any of these situations.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top