Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #251
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
No one will basically listen to what I have to say, but I use winch up feeders that put the feeder motor at least head high or higher and have NEVER had a single coon, cow or hog problem with my feeders! And we have all 3 in abundance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Where I hunt in south Texas has all hang 'em high feeders. No issues with coons at all. But, this feeder I'm using now belongs to the land owner and it is what it is. It is a coon and squirrel jungle gym. Our other feeders on this lease are stand and fills. So far, they're **** good at keeping coons away, especially my Ranch King Mighty Buck.
I have one hand em high winch up and 5 other winch ups. Coons climb up the hang em high and the others when in the area. I comment on it when I notice. You can tell by seeing mud on the leg that has the cable and the solar panel wire will be pulled out some.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #252
Kolpin10
Eight Point

Well I tryed the slinky trick but does not work for me, coons have them so streched out they were all the way to the ground. It looks like they were using them to bungy jump. Not sure how they did it but one they have partially unraveled and pulled loops off the leg. So it may work for some but evidently my raccoons are way to tough to be slowed down.
Kolpin10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #253
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I have one hand em high winch up and 5 other winch ups. Coons climb up the hang em high and the others when in the area. I comment on it when I notice. You can tell by seeing mud on the leg that has the cable and the solar panel wire will be pulled out some.
I have two winch ups in Trinity Co. In two years I've seen one fox squirrell on the feeder. Coons are on the ground. Bonus is: deer don't seem to be bothered as much by the winch ups. Even the bigger bucks.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #254
Casey
Administrator

I put slinky's on my All Seasons and have not gotten a single photo of a squirrel or coon on the cage since. I'm a believer. I do have have "pre-slinky" pics of them hanging on the cage.

While I haven't gotten any pics of them on the feeder, and some of you may say I'm just not getting them when they're up there, the spinner plate position never changes until after a feed time has passed. In the past, I could see between some pics that it had been rotated.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #255
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Well since July 11, 2017, when I installed the Slinky's, I haven't had any coons get corn out of my feeders. I now have 4 feeders going without varmit cages. The Slinky's are still doing the job. Just wanted to bump this up again in case anyone is still fighting with those corn thieves
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #256
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

What about squirrels Jeff?? You've about got me convinced to give this a whirl... on one or 2 of my feeders... Think I'll ask my bride to buy me 2 sets of slinky's and start there.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #257
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
What about squirrels Jeff?? You've about got me convinced to give this a whirl... on one or 2 of my feeders... Think I'll ask my bride to buy me 2 sets of slinky's and start there.
I think there's a fella' on here selling them...
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #258
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I think there's a fella' on here selling them...

This guy right here ^^^^ will give you a bulk discount

Charlie, I didn't have a squirrel issue so I can't say one way or the other.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #259
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
SS, in my post above, I address squirrels. They were getting to my cage before. I had pics of them. Since slinkyfying them...no squirrels on the cage.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #260
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yea, I saw your "slinky cam" pics in your live hunt thread... Man I hope this works!! Gonna try to get a couple going soon as my feeders feed out enough to raise the legs enough to get 'em on... Got one now that I can get going... be a couple weeks before any of my others are light enough to move...
Old 10-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #261
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Yea, I saw your "slinky cam" pics in your live hunt thread... Man I hope this works!! Gonna try to get a couple going soon as my feeders feed out enough to raise the legs enough to get 'em on... Got one now that I can get going... be a couple weeks before any of my others are light enough to move...
You don't have to raise the legs, just wind them on. Takes longer, but easier on the back...
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #262
BigJimmyRustler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tejas

I know this thread is about the slinky coon solutions but I just thought I'd update you guys on my situation FWIW

THE SITUATION:I hunt a piece of land in a creek bottom that is FILLED with coons. They were climbing my feeder legs on all my feeders and sticking their hands through the varmint cages to spin the corn off the plates at an alarming rate (Like think 4 times as fast to empty a feeder). I had hundreds of pics of entire families of coons on/around my feeders nightly.

THE SOLUTION: The carpet tack strips have completely solved my issues. I duct taped one 36" strip on all four sides about 24 inches up the leg. Securing it in three spots (bottom, middle, top). The first week they were showing daily as per the usual and had pics of the attempted and failed climbings. Then the camera sightings started tapering off to the point now that I might get 1 coon on camera over a two week period on my cameras. They don't even show up anymore, I think its because the deer are eating the corn in the mornings and evenings before they show up. I have now removed the "varmint" cages since all they were doing was deflecting the corn and all is right in the world (sort of lol)
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #263
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
I know this thread is about the slinky coon solutions but I just thought I'd update you guys on my situation FWIW

THE SITUATION:I hunt a piece of land in a creek bottom that is FILLED with coons. They were climbing my feeder legs on all my feeders and sticking their hands through the varmint cages to spin the corn off the plates at an alarming rate (Like think 4 times as fast to empty a feeder). I had hundreds of pics of entire families of coons on/around my feeders nightly.

THE SOLUTION: The carpet tack strips have completely solved my issues. I duct taped one 36" strip on all four sides about 24 inches up the leg. Securing it in three spots (bottom, middle, top). The first week they were showing daily as per the usual and had pics of the attempted and failed climbings. Then the camera sightings started tapering off to the point now that I might get 1 coon on camera over a two week period on my cameras. They don't even show up anymore, I think its because the deer are eating the corn in the mornings and evenings before they show up. I have now removed the "varmint" cages since all they were doing was deflecting the corn and all is right in the world (sort of lol)

No problem posting it here. The goal is to get the coons off the feeders.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #264
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
You don't have to raise the legs, just wind them on. Takes longer, but easier on the back...
Dang!! I feel pretty durn stoopid... and I R N-GA-NEAR...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #265
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

Interesting. Mine used the carpet tack strips for traction.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #266
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:

I won't rain on your parade too much but the carpet tacks are only a temporary fix IMO. Eventually those thieving bastages will figure them out...same as the Sharks Teeth. They essentially become coon stairs. And you sure don't want to forget those things are attached to the feeder legs while walking around filling them. As me how I know.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #267
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Interesting. Mine used the carpet tack strips for traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
I won't rain on your parade too much but the carpet tacks are only a temporary fix IMO. Eventually those thieving bastages will figure them out...same as the Sharks Teeth. They essentially become coon stairs. And you sure don't want to forget those things are attached to the feeder legs while walking around filling them. As me how I know.
My experience as well... corn loss to coons went up not down when I added the carpet tack strips...
Old 06-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #268
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Antlercollector must be a believer he just bought another 6 from me.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #269
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
Antlercollector must be a believer he just bought another 6 from me.
I guess I need to give them a shot!
Just ordered 12 from you.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #270
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

I’ll get’em headed your way Monday morning thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #271
Horsefly
Eight Point

Only YOU can stop a coon!
Horsefly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #272
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

They absolutely work! I'm putting out two more feeders this week and needed the Slinky's for the feeder legs. Both of these feeders are barrel feeders without varmit cages. The Slinky's have worked for a year with this set up.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #273
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Well my slinkies were working well, until the coons figured them out.

Free candy is a hell of a motivator.
Found this yesterday-

Looks like this drum will be going back with a full circumference cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #274
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

Found this yesterday-

That looks like a WGI unit the door probably just rattled off of that thing and the battery rattled out !!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #275
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
That looks like a WGI unit the door probably just rattled off of that thing and the battery rattled out !!
Lol🤣
saintsfan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #276
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I’ve tried everything to no avail. I finally put a 3 strand hot wire on my feeder pen and have not had a Coon on the feeder since. This thing is kicking out 7000 volts on the opposite side of the pen from the solar unit. Best $200 I’ve ever spent. I have actually had to up my feed duration to 10secs because the corn was staying to long in the feeder.
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #277
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

I just put "Slinky" together. Got a couple bandits robbing my protein feeder, so gonna try to thin them out next weekend!

Name:  coon getter.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  52.6 KB
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #278
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:

Found this yesterday-

I think the bolt you have poking through the feeder legs restricted the Slinky's effect. It clearly got hung on it and gave the Coon something else to climb on. You can see it's stretched out below the bolt. Mine are attached at the very top of the feeder legs and move freely up and down the leg pipe. I don't think Slinky's are 100% coon proof, but your set up may not be the best for them
Old 07-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #279
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:

Found this yesterday-

No biggie! Just replace the slinky. I think ol Gunnyart still has plenty of them.

Oh! And grab you a Tmate camera mount and one of his new camera shades.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #280
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
No biggie! Just replace the slinky. I think ol Gunnyart still has plenty of them.

Oh! And grab you a Tmate camera mount and one of his new camera shades.
I might have to put you the sales staff Ironman.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #281
dlinzy
Spike

Hunt In: S/e Okla.

Looks like a better solution than pvc pipes.
dlinzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #282
Traildust
Pope & Young

Maybe multiple slinky's will effect their gripping capabilities?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #283
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

You didnt setup the drowning-tub option.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #284
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
You didnt setup the drowning-tub option.
Hail ya!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #285
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I think the bolt you have poking through the feeder legs restricted the Slinky's effect. It clearly got hung on it and gave the Coon something else to climb on. You can see it's stretched out below the bolt. Mine are attached at the very top of the feeder legs and move freely up and down the leg pipe. I don't think Slinky's are 100% coon proof, but your set up may not be the best for them
That's some fine top notch detective work right thar!!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #286
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:

Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #287
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Hell, he knows when I'm out of milk!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #288
Wits_End
Eight Point

Didnt work for me. Oh well, next time i will try marine grade grease.

Last edited by Wits_End; 07-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #289
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Gunny-I can't remember but do you do free shipping on the slinkeys? Are they the original or jr size and does it make a difference on effectiveness? Thanks
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #290
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinzy View Post
Looks like a better solution than pvc pipes.
Iím. 100% on PVC. Only 15 feeders. No cages anymore
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #291
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Gunny-I can't remember but do you do free shipping on the slinkeys? Are they the original or jr size and does it make a difference on effectiveness? Thanks
I have both sizes. So long as your cart total is at least $20 you can get free shipping with TBHFS. I know some folks are having success some arenít.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #292
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Does anyone have footage of it working?
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #293
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Does anyone have footage of it working?

Or not working?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #294
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins7581 View Post
I think it would scare deer off if a coon pulled it down and it shot up and made all that noise.
You aint heard?
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #295
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Or not working?
It appears there are pics of it not working. No?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #296
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
It appears there are pics of it not working. No?
Are pics footage? No? I've wanted video ever since this thread started. I don't have coons come to my feeders anymore so I can't get a video of them. I guess that's a good thing. For $3 there's not a cheaper deterrent that I know of.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-14-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #297
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are pics footage? No? I've wanted video ever since this thread started. I don't have coons come to my feeders anymore so I can't get a video of them. I guess that's a good thing. For $3 there's not a cheaper deterrent that I know of.
So they don't come anymore? I guess the parent teach the babies if you see slinkys don't even bother trying? Maybe they are starting to evolve, and pretty soon coons will forget how to climb. 😂
Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #298
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
So they don't come anymore? I guess the parent teach the babies if you see slinkys don't even bother trying? Maybe they are starting to evolve, and pretty soon coons will forget how to climb. ��
No they don't come to my feeders anymore. Last pic I had of one was a single pic in January. I feed year round. There are plenty of coons on my lease still. They know where the easy meals are and avoid my feeders.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #299
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
No they don't come to my feeders anymore. Last pic I had of one was a single pic in January. I feed year round. There are plenty of coons on my lease still. They know where the easy meals are and avoid my feeders.
So they don't even come and eat it off the ground?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #300
SanSaba007
Eight Point

Default Slinkyís

I used the cheap ones from Dollar General last year. They definitely work!
SanSaba007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top