Target panic!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target panic!!

Hey guys I had started out shooting trad a few years ago then started developing tp to the point where I gave up sold my Bob Lee then picked up a compound... But I feel very passionate about trad and I ended up picking up another Bob Lee of the classifieds.. Got me some arrows. And I started out just holding the arrow at the target at full draw without releasing.. And I can do that no problem. But when I know I want to release the arrow everything g goes to *****.. Lol I can get off one good shot then tp kicks in.. Now mind you if I know I'm not gonna release the arrow I can get up to full draw with good back tension multiple times in a row... So I don't feel like I'm over bowed.. It's a mental breakdown when I know I need to aim down the tip of my arrow to the bulls eye.. So I'm dependant on a no fire drill... How long and what tactics did y'all use to over come this

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert on tp but my daughter got it a couple of years ago with her compound. I made her start shooting her longbow and it cleared right up. Don't look down your arrow for the sight though. Just focus on the spot you want to hit. If you can't focus let down and start over.

Comment

Just shoot 5 arrows under a timer for 60 seconds. Try to get the best score.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for y'all help guys

Comment

Walk up to the target like three or four yards. Draw hit your anchor and close your eyes. Release. Keep doing this over and over till you can’t stand it anymore. Now step back and shoot as normal. If it’s still a problem, quit for the day. Start your next session out with the eyes closed again. It may take a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
            Walk up to the target like three or four yards. Draw hit your anchor and close your eyes. Release. Keep doing this over and over till you can’t stand it anymore. Now step back and shoot as normal. If it’s still a problem, quit for the day. Start your next session out with the eyes closed again. It may take a few days.
            Thanks I'll give that a try...

Comment

I use to have it bad. Make a training aid with a handle and sting to your draw length and practice in the house on using your release. I switched to a thumb button and it help. You need a “surprise” shot so you can just focus on aiming

Comment

There was no cure for me so I stick with the compound or rifle these days

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                  I started typing a response for Cody to try blind bailing, but thought I should read all the replies first. Glad I did. I suggest trying this, it works for many people to cure target panic.

Comment

Thnks.. I also think i should practice a few yards from target until I can keep good form and release while aiming and take a few steps the more consistent I get.. I had my tp under control the first few days by doing a no fire drill a few yards away while aiming at a dot and not releasing. But the next day I jumped back 10 yards and tp Came back.. So I need to slow down and work my way back with a few steps from day to day

Last edited by Cody2306; 02-24-2018, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I've made a huge success in just slowing my whole shot sequence.. Especially once I get to full draw.. I will hold at anchor for 3 seconds before I either just let down or have it in my mind to make a clean shot... I'm only a few yards from the target but I will take a step back each day as long as I am still progressing..

Comment

Working...
                      X