Youth Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Season

I have guys coming in town from out of state to bring their boys during the early youth season, question is what license do we need to buy? The boys are 10 years old, do we buy licenses for the Fathers and the kids use their tags?

This is not legal.

Originally posted by Mathews Lefty View Post
    The boys are 10 years old, do we buy licenses for the Fathers and the kids use their tags?

From TPWD website..

Valid Sep. 1, 2017 through Aug. 31, 2018.
    Hunting License

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in Texas (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license.) See Hunting Licenses and Permits.

Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License.

I am not sure if the dads need a hunting license or not since they will be accompanying the kids. I would figure they would, but not sure.
    Last edited by salth2o; 10-25-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

My understanding is if the kids have Hunter's Education the parents do not need to have licenses. If they do not have Hunters Ed then the Parents will need licenses. this is based off my work with Texas Youth Hunting Program (TYHP.org). I by no means am an expert on the law. This is do to the Hunter Ed laws about hunting with a licensed adult who is hunter ed certified. Once the kids are certified they do not need to have an adult with them. Thus if an adult is with them they and not hunting they are just an observer and do not need a license.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
        My understanding is if the kids have Hunter's Education the parents do not need to have licenses. If they do not have Hunters Ed then the Parents will need licenses. this is based off my work with Texas Youth Hunting Program (TYHP.org). I by no means am an expert on the law. This is do to the Hunter Ed laws about hunting with a licensed adult who is hunter ed certified. Once the kids are certified they do not need to have an adult with them. Thus if an adult is with them they and not hunting they are just an observer and do not need a license.
        You're correct. If a youth has taken the hunters course he can hunt alone. If the kid doesn't have one then he needs to be with a licensed adult

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          You're correct. If a youth has taken the hunters course he can hunt alone. If the kid doesn't have one then he needs to be with a licensed adult
          What if the parents don't have hunters ed either?

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            What if the parents don't have hunters ed either?

Then they need to stay at camp and cook while the OP takes those boys hunting

Comment

It is not legal for the kid to hunt or the parent during regular season.

Straight from TPWD web site
              Who needs to take Hunter Education?
              Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete hunter education. Minimum age for certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
              age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete hunter education, OR you must be accompanied.
              age 17 and over, you must successfully complete hunter education; OR purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.
              What does "accompanied" mean?
              Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Proof of certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.

Comment

It would be way more cost efficient to get them certified $7 for youth license regardless of residency vs. $315 for the parents.

Comment

It is not legal for the kid to hunt or the parent during regular season.

Straight from TPWD web site
                  Who needs to take Hunter Education?
                  Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete hunter education. Minimum age for certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
                  age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete hunter education, OR you must be accompanied.
                  age 17 and over, you must successfully complete hunter education; OR purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.
                  What does "accompanied" mean?
                  Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Proof of certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.

Did you read the "or" part in what you quoted? Kids can hunt without hunters education 9-16 if they are accompanied by a licensed hunter that either has taken it or is too old to be required to have it

Comment

I was responding to Hog Slayer. Should have quoted before posting. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Comment

I was responding to Hog Slayer. Should have quoted before posting. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
                      Gotcha. I didn't want th OP to be confused

Comment

thanks guys, I (along with the Dads) have hunters ed and will be hunting with them so no issue there.

Comment

Working...
                        X