Gun Dog Training Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Dog Training Recommendations

I have a 6 month old Chesapeake Bay retriever, I have been working with her myself, but with my hectic work schedule and how stubborn chessies are, I am having a hard time making progress with her. Does anyone have any recommendations on good relatively inexpensive gun dog trainer? Thank y'all so much in advance for the help!
    Last edited by Tylerbost33; 11-22-2016, 09:52 PM.

I understand how a busy schedule can be. With a stubborn dog makes it worse. May not sound nice to some people but a switch will help alot of that. My gsp is as hardheaded as they come but a switch straightens him out. After a while he may try his luck and i gotta cut one but havent in a while. It works great with heal and acting right on a leash. Its amazing how good they act when when theyre not jumping and pullin and all of that

Comment

Don't know of one, sorry. I used the Richard Walters books for my golden and it worked pretty well. Don't give up, just 10-15 minutes a day can help. One day she will figure it all out.

Comment

I try to work with her at least 20-30 minutes everyday after work, but it seems like she's hit a plateau. One plus however is my roommate has her mom, so she spends all of her time with her, I need to get her out in the field working with her so she can see how she works. But her mom has had a good bit of training, and I'd like to be able to do that for my pup as well

Comment

I would be glad to help. I sent you a pm if you would like to contact me.

Comment

4 hours from Austin but both my dogs trained with Brent Wilbur in Abilene at Bird Dog University. He charges $500/ month and is awesome, worth more in my opinion.

He worked both of mine 6-8 weeks and I may send my Boykin back for a few just to do some fresher on flushing, he's a heck of a dove dog though now.

Comment

I figured I'd add a few pics to show her off a little bit. She's a beautiful dog, and she's got some hops!

https://vimeo.com/192742636

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

30 mins a day lots and lots of praise when they do what your trying to get em to. If they don't, realize it takes time. The dog will know your mad, let em know your mad. Stop the lesson right then. Start over the next day. Lots of praise is the best reward for em. Love em up rub your head against theirs let em know they did good. I've got a gsp and she's a hunting loon. Going to get after the ducks in the am

Comment

I will do that! Thanks for the tips! Tear em up in the mornin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also if your practicing something specific, like a blind retrieve. Walk w your dog side by side through the drill. When the dog finds the decoy love em up. Everything is a series of baby steps learning to communicate with your dog. Make it fun. It may wear you out, but be excited when working with her. The dog can read you like a book.

Comment

Go to a AKC hunt test near you and spend the day. They have them all over. There will be many professional trainer running multiple dogs in senior and master hunter trials. Watch for trainersthat have chessi's ( not many will) and talk to them. They will be very expensive and if you talk to a trainer that isn't expensive and legit they can do more harm than good. If your not going to train her yourself then just spend the money to do it right. For legit hunter level dog I would think it would be at least 6k. If you ever want to breed her down the road let me know I have a hunting machine that I would love a pup out of.

Comment

i got the solution to your problem, call jeff brown at dawg on it retrievers , he is in taft,tx
                        he has worked both my dogs and he is awesome, one look at his property set up and you will be a believer, his number is 361-793-1999 , drop off your dog and then drive 40 minutes to corpus christi and do some fishing, you wont be disappointed
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jason Hassldroff Victoria Texas 361 782 1979, He will give you private lesson's as well

Comment

what ever you decide do not go to mike kerr in taft , texas he will take your money and accomplish nothing.

Comment

Alex Brittingham may have some space in her kennel for her.....

She's on here (oneshotlu) but you can also find her on face book.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 11-23-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X