No announcement yet.

Shower pan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a tile floor, the vinyl pan substituted for a laid in place fiberglass liner. Just like a boat hull.

Comment

Yeah we want to do ours and this is one project to let a professional handdle.
      Good luck on yours.

Comment

Check out http://www.cfinj.com/shower-pans/ for what I am talking about.

Comment

Appreciate the responses. We have a vinyl pan now, and it has a three sided crack (like a Mercedes logo) in the floor of the pan. The sides of the pan that get screwed into the wall studs are covered by white gloss 6" tile. The plumber said two rows of tile along the bottom of the walls would have to be taken out to remove the pan. A new insert would be put in, then the tile would have to be replaced. $825 for that. If we want a new pan and new walls that's $1800.

One word of caution from the plumber about having a tile company do the floor of the shower is that the proper liner and mud has to be put in, otherwise the tile could crack along the grout and cause leakage into the floor. I don't know how realistic or likely that is but it is something to consider on having that type of job done.

Comment

One word of caution from the plumber about having a tile company do the floor of the shower is that the proper liner and mud has to be put in, otherwise the tile could crack along the grout and cause leakage into the floor. I don't know how realistic or likely that is but it is something to consider on having that type of job done.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't make any sence to me. All the plumber is going to do is set the pan. The tile layers mix the mud for the wall. Heck all it is is thin set on hardy board and then buttered the back of the tile, let it set, grout it, let the grout dry then seal the grout.. Not sure where you are located but go to a local tike shop they will have several layers that they can recomend to you. It really is easy just a PITA if you don;t have the saws and stuff..

Comment

Working...
            X