Abilene State Park, any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abilene State Park, any info?

I was just looking and noticed the closest public land hunting to me is Abilene SP, anyone have any info for a first time hunter, been praticing the bow like crazy, would love a buck, but mainlying going for hogs, I figure I'll use a ground blind, or maybe the spot and stalk method, any thoughts are welcomed.

Archery drawings have already been done. I don't think there are any hunts in the drawing system this year at Abilene SP anyway. Maybe they'll have them in there again next year.

Comment

so does that mean that abilene sp is one of the special places where it's a draw only hunt place

Comment

Yes. There are very few public hunting places in Texas that aren't draw only, and none in this area.

If you go by the TPWD office at 281 N. Willis, you can pick up the book that has all the info on the drawing hunts, and they'll probably have some info on other public hunts in the state as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I acutally just called over there and was told all I needed to hunt hogs was to bring my hunting license, and purchase the $48 permit, and then just register at the park. He also said there are no deer at Abilene SP, but I could go over to San Angelo SP.

I noticed your in Abilene, can you give me some insite as to where I can get some arrows. I got 2 from B&B when I purchased my bow. I was going to get some of the Carbon Express Mayheims from Acadamy but they don't cut them, and I'd feel weird buy from Academy and then taking them to B&B to get cut. Is there maybe a pipe cutter or some other tool that works. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I've only ever used the walmart carbon express arrows, which I like but they are to long. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Abilene Lumber Yard is a Mathews Dealer and sells arrows uncut. So they can cut them and put inserts in for you at whatever length you need. I don't know of any other pro shops in town.

Comment

just buy the arrows at the pro shop and have them cut bye them will be about he same price there going to charge you to cut them and put inserts if you buy the arrows else where. and the SASP has been very slow for last 2 years the drought is hurting all the hunting around the areas good luck

Comment

you can cut them with a dremel tool works great

Comment

Welcome to Abilene! You might consider joining the Abilene Bowhunters to meet like-minded folk and have a great place to shoot. Here's the website:

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i wish just running to the pro shop and getting arrows and having them cut them was that easy, it's about a 5 to 6 hour round trip to bass pro or cabelas.

i'll have to check out the abilene bow hunters, i think the guy at B&B when i bought by bow mentioned it.

Comment

x2 on Abilene Lumber! they are really friendly and prices are reasonable! Ive dealt with B&B and they are a little steep on their prices. I didnt know there was an archery club here, i may have to check it out myself!

Comment

I didn't know you could hunt hogs at Abilene SP. Cool.

Comment

I wasn't even aware you could hunt at Abilene SP untill yesterday haha! Crazy how you don't even know whats in your own backyard!

Comment

thanks for the info guys, i did stop by abilene lumber, guy was super nice, will be going back next week to pick up some arrows. also going to try to get out to the abilene bowhunters club next week as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X