Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying pop up camper help

Going to look at what seems to be a very clean 97 pop up
    The owner says title is in their name but they don't have plates for it...seems odd

Anything I need to look out for? If title is in their name and they give it and bill of sale should I have any issues transferring title and getting plates?

Also quick run down what all to look for on pop ups. Even obvious like soft floor zippers on tent etc incase I'm forgetting something

Coleman that age might have the PVC roof, if not cracked it will be a mericle.
    Roof might also have a good dip in the middle like an old horses back.
    If either one of those are present, walk. Other than that make sure it raises and lowers smoothly.

Comment

It's a jayco I'm headed to look at shortly. Thank you for the info. Keep em coming

Comment

Not a deal breaker but if the jacks are operational it's a plus

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
          It's a jayco I'm headed to look at shortly. Thank you for the info. Keep em coming
          Make sure it raises and lowers smooth. There can be issues with the pullies and gear system. If it has set you may only need to spray the pullies with WD40. But it could be something more serious.

I have a thread where I re did a Coleman. It had the PVC roof.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Look for dry rott in the walls, mine had this problem and check the roof , I would check the wheel bearing and tires

Comment

Assuming it's a Texas registration...

Confirm that it's actually him on the title, print off and complete a "130-U" form (both of you will sign the form). You may need an approved state inspection of the trailer on hand (good for 90 days from day of passed inspection), before you can get your new plates. (but...that might be a "minimum gross weight" rating for an inspection. Check on the TX dmv site for specs. The title should have the VIN number on it. Find the VIN on the trailer to make sure it's a match.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by BowPro73; 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

It was not their name on the title...it smelled like they chain smoked in it as well.. wasn't bad shape but the title issue is why they didn't have plates. I did ask specifically if title was in their name before driving and of course they said yes.
                Oh well I'm not in a rush.have the cash set aside and will buy one when it's a good deal. Would like a little newer one anyway but for the price and what the pics made it look like i had to go look. My kids going to be 3 soon. So it's time for a camper and state park trips

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
                Assuming it's a Texas registration...

Confirm that it's actually him on the title, print off and complete a "130-U" form (both of you will sign the form). You may need an approved state inspection of the trailer on hand (good for 90 days from day of passed inspection), before you can get your new plates. (but...that might be a "minimum gross weight" rating for an inspection. Check on the TX dmv site for specs. The title should have the VIN number on it. Find the VIN on the trailer to make sure it's a match.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  Look for dry rott in the walls, mine had this problem and check the roof , I would check the wheel bearing and tires
                  Like on the plastic on the tent? So just eyeball it and push/ pinch around on it to check?

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                    Like on the plastic on the tent? So just eyeball it and push/ pinch around on it to check?
                    I believe he means in the metal clad walls
                    On my old one you could wiggle the wall next to the door. From time to time rotted wood would fall out the bottom. It was not going to fly off going down the road of anything but it did need attention.

When you find the right one they sure are A good time in those state parks

Comment

Working...
                    X