? breakfest sausage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? breakfest sausage help

anyone have a good recipe for hot breakfest sausage(venison/pork)

I am on my 3rd try this year and still not happy. Getting closer. Needs a lot of fat to offset the super lean deer.
    Been using Williams Hot Sausage seasoning with a bunch of pepper.

Next time I will try another type of seasoning and more fat.

Comment

Try the Zach's Old Fashioned Pork Sausage spice blend. One pack makes 25 lbs. I add extra rubbed sage and course-ground black pepper and it's darn good. Make sure you have plenty of pork fat in the meat mixture... should be juicy when cooking not too dry.

Comment

Brookshire Brothers will mix up some for ya, really good. Just add some more red pepper. reos spice company out of huntsville makes good mix also

Comment

I use 1 tsp per pound meat of salt, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp per lb meat of sage - if you like sage...
          Then add other things to suit you taste like red pepper or garlic....
          But be careful if adding spice blends like Tony's creole - the salt above is enough and a salty blend in addition could make it too salty...

Comment

AC Leggs makes excellent seasonings. Ive been extremely with their breaksfast sausage seasonings!

Comment

I use William's Sausage Blends..and add some pequin pepper powder to give mine an extra punch. Mix in a little maple flavor to seal the deal..getting the perfect balance of fat mixed in seems to be the hardest thing to get right though.

Comment

Originally posted by easystepper69 View Post
                I use William's Sausage Blends..and add some pequin pepper powder to give mine an extra punch. Mix in a little maple flavor to seal the deal..getting the perfect balance of fat mixed in seems to be the hardest thing to get right though.
                ive had really good luck with straight pork butts but i dont mix venison... they seem to have the perfect fat - meat ratio...

Comment

thanks for the help..lots of good ideAS

Comment

I just made a bunch this morning. 50/50 deer to pork butt ratio. I used some Fiesta brand seasoning that I found at Academy. I added some red pepper flakes to it as well, just had me a sausage sandwich for lunch!! Good stuff.

Comment

Yea getting enough fat in is tough.

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                        Yea getting enough fat in is tough.
                        na, mix with bacon ends and pieces. 50/50

Spice I use is fiesta brand pan sausage seasoning and add red pepper. its like having bacon and sausage at the same time.

Comment

There is place here in Houston called Allied Kenco that i get my seasoning from. I use 50/50 pork to venison with 20% being pork fat. I always have great results using their products. Check them out.

We are a butcher supply house specializing in sausage and jerky making supplies and equipment. We also supply meat smoking and curing products, BBQ and outdoor cooking supplies, as well as food preservation supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebryan View Post
                            AC Leggs makes excellent seasonings. Ive been extremely with their breaksfast sausage seasonings!

http://www.aclegg.com/seasonings/
                            Use this, add crushed red pepper to taste. Mix venison and pork FAT 70/30 or venison and 50/50 pork TRIMMINGS 1:1 for a milder sausage.
                            Last edited by oneforthewall; 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

60-40 deer/pork will be lean, a lot of people use a lot more pork or even add trimmings.

6 lbs venison (all fat trimmed like always)
                              4 lbs pork butt- don't trim
                              6 Tbsp Kosher salt
                              2 Tbsp CBP
                              2 Tbsp ground sage
                              1 Tsp. ground ginger
                              1 Tsp. ground nutmeg
                              1 Tbsp. ground thyme
                              1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
                              1 Tbsp black pepper
                              A cup of ice water

Grind meat and add ingredients, pouring water over top to help mixing.

Comment

Working...
                              X