No announcement yet.

Specialized Bike experts and MTBers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just upgrade your components. Swapping out a new shifter and rear mech is easy. You can get a sram x9 or deore xt setup for around 150

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
      Frame Specialized A1 Premium butted-aluminum
      Fork SR SunTour, 80mm-travel
      Rims/Wheels Alex HR disc 29
      Hubs Aluminum
      Spokes 14g stainless-steel
      Tires Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 29 x 2.0
      Crankset SR SunTour
      Chainrings 42/32/22
      Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
      Rear Derailleur SRAM X-3
      Rear Cogs Shimano, 7-speed: 12-32
      Shifters SRAM X-3
      Handlebars Aluminum riser
      Tape/Grips Specialized Enduro, dual-compound
      Stem Aluminum
      Brake Levers Aluminum
      Brakes Tektro Novela mechanical-disc
      Pedals Composite platform
      Saddle Specialized Body Geometry Hardrock
      Seatpost Aluminum

Specs for my 2012 Hardrock
      Suntour, SRAM X-3 and Alex Rims are crap. You wouldn't believe all the extra weight you are carrying around.

Comment

I actually prefer sram. I love specialized frames and geometry. Suntour, meh, not so thrilled. Rather have deore. You can find components in eBay for ridiculous discounts. I still have my 1994 stumpjumper comp. Love that bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mtb advice

Way better value in used. But, fit first. You can swap limbs and cams on a bow, but not much range of adjustment on a bike.
          Like a bow or gun,need to know what you're looking at and for.

29'er if you do any actual mtb'ing. Air-sprung fork with rebound adjustment. At least 10 speed. No 3x. 2x or 1x drivetrain is fine wither way. X7 or better for Sram, Deore or better for Shimano.

Discs mandatory, hydraulic preferred but I wouldn't sweat it unless you plan to do serious mtb'ing.

Now if you're just going to ride down dirt roads at the ranch, ignore the above.

Comment

Upgrade your components.
            I have a rockhopper disc and I upgraded the shifters and derailer. It makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              I was testing a surly single speed karate monkey a couple months back. I asked if they could put some gears if the ss was not working out. The shop said they could set me up with quality components for about 300.00.
              What was your opinion of the single speed?

Comment

I'm not riding more than pulling my 2 year old around in a trailer. I'm swapping the knobbys for some street tires. The bike is not shifting well going up hill. It has been adjusted, but gets unadjusted under light riding. Just unacceptable. The bike is pampered. I don't want to adjust it everytime I ride. I don't have that kind of time. If our neighborhood was flat, it wouldn't even be a problem, but we have big hills, so I need more from the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                  I'm not riding more than pulling my 2 year old around in a trailer. I'm swapping the knobbys for some street tires. The bike is not shifting well going up hill. It has been adjusted, but gets unadjusted under light riding. Just unacceptable. The bike is pampered. I don't want to adjust it everytime I ride. I don't have that kind of time. If our neighborhood was flat, it wouldn't even be a problem, but we have big hills, so I need more from the bike.
                  Quality components will fix that problem. I have a Niner hardtail that I converted to a street bike. I have SRAM X-9 shifters and derailleurs with a shimano xt sprocket. I used it for the long rides and it eats up the hills with no problem.

Comment

Where are you buying components? Ebay and Amazon?

Comment

Working...
                    X