Age on possible cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age on possible cull

Is this a 4 year old? I don't care about score but I'm trying to manage the place he is on.Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	24978952

Im goin to say 3 tops. Always gonna be a 6 though. Choot em.

Comment

Originally posted by wtb90 View Post
      Im goin to say 3 tops. Always gonna be a 6 though. Choot em.
      I ageee

Comment

He is easily 3 maybe 4 regardless if you are managing a place he needs to be culled at that age and being a 6 point.

Comment

Comment

I also agree on three. Ground check him!

Comment

So if you are managing this place, what is the buck to doe ratio?

Comment

This is the first year we are trying to manage it. It has not been hunted much in the past. Bucks to does right now is 1 to 2. There are a few does that we plan to harvest and a few bucks that we will be passing. Including a really nice 8 that I can't get past 3.

This is our first year trying to get them on protein. We have several does eating it but the bucks have yet to touch it.

Comment

Man that is the exact opposite of what I have experienced. I'm in my 8th year feeding protein and this is the first year my does have touched the protein. I have been wanting them to since the get go, not sure what took the so long to figure it out since it is free choice.

Comment

If you are truly trying to manage and are just starting out don't worry too much about what is on their head. Focus on getting your herd to carrying capacity or under, buck to doe ratio where you want it and some age on your herd. Most of all have fun doing it.

Comment

I don't really understand it either. At first nothing wanted it but coons. I took one curious doe to stick her head in there and then all the does started eating it. I have tried everything I can think of to get the bucks a little more curious. Mixed in corn, golden nuggets, and roasted soybeans....still no bucks. I'll keep trying though. We tried to manage our other place but with only 175 acres and no neighbors willing to participate in a management program we kind of abandoned that plan. The neighbors around this 100 acres are willing to participate so we are gonna give this one a try.

Comment

At least 3

Comment

Oh, wait he looks 12 and 7/8 wide will have to let him walk.

Comment

Kill him

Comment

He looks like a 4yr old at least and more of a 5 yr old buck in that one pic. If you want more that look like him, keep him. I would not keep him if it were my place.

Comment

Working...
                              X