School me on shock absorbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on shock absorbers

I’ve got a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 2WD for a farm truck / hunting vehicle. I’m original owner and it’s got over 190k Miles on it. It stays at my rural ranch and has farm plates.

My wife drove it til about 180k miles and babied it with oil changed early and its on great shape overall. I drive it 40% on east Texas logging roads and 60% pavement.

Lately I’ve noticed it bounces more after hitting a rut or bump when I’m off road like shocks are weak. They’re original equipment.

What are symptoms of worn shocks?

Should I look for heavier duty type shocks? I now drive off pavement on bumpy logging roads much of the time.

What should I expect to pay and what are best places to have this done?
    Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM.

Symptoms are that after 180k miles they need to be replaced. Local Midas Muffler shop, Monroe Gas Magnums. Golden.

Comment

Bilsten 5100

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
        Bilsten 5100
        Would be a good choice

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
          Bilsten 5100
          Just put a set of them on my 2006 GMC. Cost me about $300 and made a big difference.

Comment

I put 5100's on my 00 2wd suburban which is now my lease vehicle and I absolutely love them. When i was looking 3 years back shockwarehouse.com had the best price. I believe they were around 75 bucks each.

Comment

Also any automotive repair shop or truck accessories shop should be able to swap them out. It is very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
                I’ve got a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 2WD for a farm truck / hunting vehicle. I’m original owner and it’s got over 190k Miles on it. It stays at my rural ranch and has farm plates.

My wife drove it til about 180k miles and babied it with oil changed early and its on great shape overall. I drive it 40% on east Texas logging roads and 60% pavement.

Lately I’ve noticed it bounces more after hitting a rut or bump when I’m off road like shocks are weak. They’re original equipment.

What are symptoms of worn shocks?

Should I look for heavier duty type shocks? I now drive off pavement on bumpy logging roads much of the time.

What should I expect to pay and what are best places to have this done?

I come a back ground of off road racing and shocks can be very basic and they can be extremely intricate .

For the avg guy i would suggest basic shock .. If you tow with it then maybe a helper type shock with a coil around it .

Cheaper made shocks can fail under use bumpy off road for extended times will cause the fluid to over heat foam and the shock become less effective .

Yes you can buy them for very low dollars and you will get what you paid for . The listing I posted is a very good set up that will last another 100,000 miles .

Comment

Rough country has started making a newer shock n3 nor something like that, they are supposed to be the next big thing in the suspension world.

Comment

Rancho or Bielstein’s

Comment

What's wrong with Factory shocks? they made it to a hundred and eighty thousand!

Comment

If it’s a ranch truck. Just get something decent at the parts store.

I get fancy stuff for a daily/ something that needs them. My Yukon daily bilsteins and my duramax has Fox 2.5s but doesn’t sound like you need any of that mess.

Comment

Thanks guys- all this has been very helpful.
                          I ordered some this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                          X