Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrician in FtWorth area? Or can answer question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician in FtWorth area? Or can answer question?

Im wanting to run a new service out to my shop. Power company will run up to the meter base (I supply meter base). Im looking to run some 4/0, 4/0,2/0 alum service entrance wire from the 200a meter base to the electrical panel that 15' away. Im estimating 40' of wire. Is there anything special I need to know? I feel like its pretty straight forward, hot to hot, hot to hot, ground to ground. Bonding screw in the panel. Ground rod outside with 4awg to the ground on the panel.

I had two electricians that were supposed to be very affordable come quote. One guy never got back and the other guy wants $2200. Im looking at $200 in supplies, a $50 permit. I don't think a normal rate is $1000/hour for an electrician.

Any suggestions? Any TBH electricians in the FtWorth Keller area wanting to quote the work?
    Last edited by 8mpg; 06-05-2018, 10:41 PM.

A 200a service will take more than two hours to install. You can't hardly get out of a supply house with those materials in that time. Is the job the service only? No new receptacle or lights?

Comment

Service only. The shop is already wired from a circuit off the house. Looking to have its own meter and a little more than 60 amps.

Comment

Looks right to me (electrical inspector who just did his own 200 amp service) don't forget the dielectric grease for the terminals since you are going with alum wire.

Your size wire is fine. We reccomend dual ground rods but mostly depends on your soil type.

Did mine for the same reason as you its simple and cost to darn much to hire out.

If you slightly mechanically inclined then I say goget it done.

I got all my parts at home depot.

kronik by Diamond
        Last edited by TxKronik; 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Keller would not let me pull my permit I had to get a electrical contractor to do it.

8mpg If you need help our advice I would be glad to stop by but not really got the time to do the job myself if that make since.

Comment

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to talk to the city. Their Frequently Asked Questions say if you are the homeowner, you can do the work and pull the permit as long as you are not paying anyone for help. We will see.

Comment

So.... they wanted $2200 to install the meter can on the outside of the shop and run a feeder to the existing breaker box?

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                Thanks for the offer. I'll have to talk to the city. Their Frequently Asked Questions say if you are the homeowner, you can do the work and pull the permit as long as you are not paying anyone for help. We will see.

Typically a homeowner cannot install their own service. You will need a permit and inspection to get a meter release. A homeowner is typically not allowed to pull a permit for a service installation. That usually has to be pulled by a contractor or sometimes a master electrician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Im wanting to run a new service out to my shop. Power company will run up to the meter base (I supply meter base). Im looking to run some 4/0, 4/0,2/0 alum service entrance wire from the 200a meter base to the electrical panel that 15' away. Im estimating 40' of wire. Is there anything special I need to know? I feel like its pretty straight forward, hot to hot, hot to hot, ground to ground. Bonding screw in the panel. Ground rod outside with 4awg to the ground on the panel.

I had two electricians that were supposed to be very affordable come quote. One guy never got back and the other guy wants $2200. Im looking at $200 in supplies, a $50 permit. I don't think a normal rate is $1000/hour for an electrician.

Any suggestions? Any TBH electricians in the FtWorth Keller area wanting to quote the work?

On a new service you would need (2) hots and a neutral from the meter base all the same size. You will bond at the panel and drive your ground rod and tie into the panel there. The utility company will also usually want their meter base bonded as well which seems redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                    So.... they wanted $2200 to install the meter can on the outside of the shop and run a feeder to the existing breaker box?
                    Correct. 40' of cable and a meter base installed. Theres no drywall or hot attic to mess with either.
                    Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Typically a homeowner cannot install their own service. You will need a permit and inspection to get a meter release. A homeowner is typically not allowed to pull a permit for a service installation. That usually has to be pulled by a contractor or sometimes a master electrician.

We will see. Im going to try and go up there tomorrow. From the city website: "Q. What work am I allowed to do myself as the homeowner or property owner?
                    As a homeowner/property owner, working on your homestead (meaning you own and live in the house), you may do any work yourself as long as you are not compensating any other person in any manner. "

Comment

Correct. 40' of cable and a meter base installed. Theres no drywall or hot attic to mess with either"
                      I can see $2k for a complete 200 amp service build. That is pretty excessive for this job.

Comment

Oncor doesn't want the ground terminated or bonded in the meterbase; you can only rout the ground wire through the meterbase going to your equipment.

See attachment straight from their spec. sheet.

But as Mike D said some companies may want something completely different. Also as he said I would talk to the city if you are inside the City limits and see what you can and can't do as the home owner on electrical on your own shop.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                          I can see $2k for a complete 200 amp service build. That is pretty excessive for this job.
                          Power company wants $2500 to run wire underground from the pole almost 200' to the building. I cant see how the guy wants the same amount of money for no digging, 40' of wire and a $50 meter base. If I had to guess, he didnt want the job. He seemed really eager, go out quick for a quote, could start really soon etc. Dunno

Comment

8mpg what did you figure out on the permit?

Comment

That may sound like a lot, but how about doctors charging $100.00 for talking to you for 5 minutes? Ain't nutting to electrical work, as long as you know what ya are doing, just like being a doctor.

Comment

Working...
                              X