Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a dehumifier to “cool” there house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a dehumifier to “cool” there house?

Moving to Houston and the new house is always rocking 55-65% humidity and after some research it seems a dehumidifier may be the ticket to at least feel cooler even if the temp stays the same.

Amazon has them for 175$ for a top rated 2500 sqft coverage and our place is only 1600 sqft. Am I reaching or would this be a good idea that could help save on the ac cost down the road?

Their house*

Comment

I use one in my 320 sq foot shipping container cabin. I think it helps cool it down and keep the air clean.

Comment

Is it a unit that you would install in the HVAC system, or one that sits in the house?

Personally I wouldn’t lose the floor space for one, but wouldn’t hesitate to install one in the attic to run automatically in the supply line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Is it a unit that you would install in the HVAC system, or one that sits in the house?

Personally I wouldn’t lose the floor space for one, but wouldn’t hesitate to install one in the attic to run automatically in the supply line.

It would sit in the living room somewhere discreet.
          Not to worried about losing a 1-2 sqft if it’s worth it.

Comment

Moving to Houston????

Comment

I have a Frigidaire and it works great. I Keep it around the 45-50% humidity level and usually dump the tank every 2-3 days depending on humidity level outside.

Comment

Edit: Never mind. I guess they come with a tank for the produced water.
                Last edited by SneakyPhil; 06-04-2018, 09:24 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Cool, as in dry heat? I have used a couple different portable dehumidifiers from Lowe's & HD. They all produce heat. But the air will be dry.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                    Edit: Never mind. I guess they come with a tank for the produced water.
                    Drain hose or the models I’m looking at automatic cut off when full. Dump, turn back on, repeat

Zach- yes sir. Wife got a promotion so H town it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Cool, as in dry heat? I have used a couple different portable dehumidifiers from Lowe's & HD. They all produce heat. But the air will be dry.
                      Yes. Sacrifice a degree or two but dry the air.

I’m just going off what I’ve been reading and some say yes it’s worth it while others say no.

Just seeing what people have experienced a gauging if 70 at 70% humidity is better/worst then 72 at 30% let’s say.

Comment

Dehumidifier wouldn’t be a bad idea.
                        I stayed in a cheap hotel room at the coast a while back that had a stand alone unit like you speak of in the room. Made a big difference in comfort.

Comment

Replaced our HVAC units a few months ago. The system we installed has dehumidifiers built-in the systems. Now that we've had it, we will never go without it. The comfort difference isn't comparable. 74* daytime used to be our comfort temp on a typical 14 SEER single speed unit. Now it's at 77* daytime with variable speed and more than cool enough for everyone at a 40% humidity setting.

Comment

Lived here my whole life and never thought about using one. May be something to look into though.

Comment

1. Dehumidifiers HEAT the air(as stated above).
                              2. An air conditioner dehumidifies and cools the air.
                              3. A properly working AC unit does not need help from a dehumidifier.

Comment

Working...
                              X