Anyone eat jackrabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone eat jackrabbits?

How about jackrabbit dumplings? If the rabbits are good to eat what's the best way to cook them?

I've ate before and it was very good. I didn't cook it but I think it was just seasoned and grilled. A lot more tender than I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      I've ate before and it was very good. I didn't cook it but I think it was just seasoned and grilled. A lot more tender than I would have thought.

Good. Was assuming they will be tough as leather.

I'm an East Texas boy. Up until last year, the only jackrabbits I've ever seen were mounted with antlers on them

Comment

Had a cousin that harvested a ton of them while in med school. Said he liked them best in a stew.

Comment

Fajitas on the flat grill

Comment

makes good chili

Comment

Pressure cooker to tenderize..Make good chili /stew

Comment

Yep back straps grilled fried and with dumplings

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Good. Was assuming they will be tough as leather.

I'm an East Texas boy. Up until last year, the only jackrabbits I've ever seen were mounted with antlers on them
                  They are not good. Not at all. Go ahead and try to eat one. Maybe if you pressure cook or make in a slow cooked stew.. I'll never try to eat one again though.

Comment

Yea, I'd have to agree with RR1... I've tried to prepare them multiple times. About half the time, I never was able to get past the skinning part... Most slimy yucky flesh/skin on any animal I ever tried to clean... Shot a few young ones, and made it through the cleaning part only to fail badly at making them edible... I gave up after about a half dozen attempts. They get a pass from me...

Comment

One time. But I've eaten many a cottontail in my life. One is definitely not like the other.

Comment

Just on the show Meat eater. Not many left where I'm from or currently live.

Comment

Backstraps pounded out with a tenderizing hammer and chicken fried. Soaked in milk first, I enjoyed them.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            They are not good. Not at all. Go ahead and try to eat one. Maybe if you pressure cook or make in a slow cooked stew.. I'll never try to eat one again though.
                            Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Yea, I'd have to agree with RR1... I've tried to prepare them multiple times. About half the time, I never was able to get past the skinning part... Most slimy yucky flesh/skin on any animal I ever tried to clean... Shot a few young ones, and made it through the cleaning part only to fail badly at making them edible... I gave up after about a half dozen attempts. They get a pass from me...
                            I agree with these guys...you might as well eat a tire. Young ones can be very good in stew, but I haven't found a way, outside of chili, to make a full grown one taste good. I stopped shooting them as well.

Comment

I have killed a few, but never eaten one. If I want to eat rabbit I’ll kill a few cotton tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X