Alaska vacation this summer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska vacation this summer questions

My wife and I are going to Alaska for our 30th anniversary in July. The only thing set in stone is that we will be in Soldatna at some point between July 15-20th to fish for Reds and we have that part covered. We are trying to decide between the following three options and I am looking for advice on the latter two.

Option #1- Cruise from Seattle to Whittier and then go to Soldatna. Have done this before and loved it. Pro's are that it is VERY relaxing and everything is kind of taken care of for you. Cons are that we have done it before and we kind of like trying new things.

Option #2- Fly to Anchorage and rent a car and travel on our own and stay at cabins/hotels/rentals/etc. Pro's are that we enjoy seeing new sites and we could be very flexible. Con's are that it is NOT as relaxing bc I know I would be trying to do to much-just my nature and am afraid some of the sights might be a bust.

Option #3- Fly to Anchorage and rent a RV and travel on our own and stay at campgrounds. Same pro's and con's as above but also not as flexible as a car in my opinion.

I guess what I am looking for is someone who has actually done a self guided land cruise. I have done a ton of research and it is overwhelming to try and decide what all to see.

Any side trips, train rides, day cruises, etc that are a must see? I guess we would focus on the south central part of Alaska? Probably can't do Denali and the Kenai river on the same trip, right?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not going to be any help but my wife and I will be doing a one way cruise up there the same time, starting in Vancouver, BC and ending in Seward (Anchorage), AK, July 15 to the 22nd and then spending three days in Anchorage and then flying home. Maybe get a beer together if we end up in the same area at the same time. First timer going to AK. I like your Option 2.

Comment

I'd do the car/cabin deal. Cruises don't interest me at all. I would rather get away from the tourist crowds and do my own thing. RVs are too much trouble, and I'd much rather have a real bed and a real bathroom.

Comment

The train from Anchorage up north through Denali and further north is a great relaxing way to see part of the state. You can stay in Denali and do the bus tour into the park and see all kinds of critters

Comment

We did a day cruise out of Kenai that took us right up to glaciers where the captain would rev engines until he caused some calving which was awesome! It was a nature cruise where we saw whales, salmon sharks, killer whales literally diving below the boat to pop up on the pther side, seals, walrus, bald eagles....it was incredible! My Dad and I also booked a day trip for halibut fishing which was also awesome for nature watching, especially the humpback whales. Not to mention i reeled in two halibut each over 70 pounds. Biggest fish i ever wrangled. We fished the Kenai river for salmon and trout where we were able to watch bear on the opposite side of the river, moose blocking the road on the way into our fish camp....best trip of my life!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post

I guess what I am looking for is someone who has actually done a self guided land cruise. I have done a ton of research and it is overwhelming to try and decide what all to see.

Any side trips, train rides, day cruises, etc that are a must see? I guess we would focus on the south central part of Alaska? Probably can't do Denali and the Kenai river on the same trip, right?
            How long do you have? We did Denali, the Glenn Highway, and the whole Kenai Peninsula in 2 weeks in a RV. I would consider Denali a must see and one of the highlights if not the highlight of the trip. The only other thing that rivaled it was flying down to Lake Clarke. The nice thing about an RV in Alaska is you can camp almost anywhere and if you don't go over 28' parking and maneuvering isn't really an issue.

Comment

Here's one for ya. Fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Drive to Valdez (about 300 miles). Take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier (about an 8 hour ferry ride as I recall). Drive from Whittier to Soldotna for your fishing. Make a side trip to Homer (a MUST). Drive back to Anchorage for your flight home.

BTW - I'll probably be in Soldotna fishing around the same time as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                Not going to be any help but my wife and I will be doing a one way cruise up there the same time, starting in Vancouver, BC and ending in Seward (Anchorage), AK, July 15 to the 22nd and then spending three days in Anchorage and then flying home. Maybe get a beer together if we end up in the same area at the same time. First timer going to AK. I like your Option 2.
                Are you on Princess cruise? If we are n Anchorage at same time then no doubt lets grab a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  I'd do the car/cabin deal. Cruises don't interest me at all. I would rather get away from the tourist crowds and do my own thing. RVs are too much trouble, and I'd much rather have a real bed and a real bathroom.
                  I have same issue with RV's and have about ruled them out. I'm way to large to sleep and move around in one.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                    The train from Anchorage up north through Denali and further north is a great relaxing way to see part of the state. You can stay in Denali and do the bus tour into the park and see all kinds of critters
                    So this is one of the options I was really considering. Our last cruise included a day trip to Denali but it was very rushed and not enjoyable. My brother went there and loved it. Thanks and definitely a strong possibility. Would 3 nights/2 days be enough in Denali?

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                      We did a day cruise out of Kenai that took us right up to glaciers where the captain would rev engines until he caused some calving which was awesome! It was a nature cruise where we saw whales, salmon sharks, killer whales literally diving below the boat to pop up on the pther side, seals, walrus, bald eagles....it was incredible! My Dad and I also booked a day trip for halibut fishing which was also awesome for nature watching, especially the humpback whales. Not to mention i reeled in two halibut each over 70 pounds. Biggest fish i ever wrangled. We fished the Kenai river for salmon and trout where we were able to watch bear on the opposite side of the river, moose blocking the road on the way into our fish camp....best trip of my life!
                      I have looked at those and really like the idea. Could just stay over an extra day in Soldatna and do that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                        How long do you have? We did Denali, the Glenn Highway, and the whole Kenai Peninsula in 2 weeks in a RV. I would consider Denali a must see and one of the highlights if not the highlight of the trip. The only other thing that rivaled it was flying down to Lake Clarke. The nice thing about an RV in Alaska is you can camp almost anywhere and if you don't go over 28' parking and maneuvering isn't really an issue.
                        I have the time but am thinking maybe anything more than a night or two in an RV would be miserable for me. Can that trip be done with a car?

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                          Here's one for ya. Fly into Anchorage and rent a car. Drive to Valdez (about 300 miles). Take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier (about an 8 hour ferry ride as I recall). Drive from Whittier to Soldotna for your fishing. Make a side trip to Homer (a MUST). Drive back to Anchorage for your flight home.

BTW - I'll probably be in Soldotna fishing around the same time as you.
                          This is one I really like. Is that entire drive spectacular? Is the ferry boat deal miserable or not bad?

I will be staying at Bo's in Soldatna. Have fished with him many times. I LOVE fishing for reds!!! Might do a King trip as well. Not a fan of Halibut fishing. Fan of Halibut-not the fishing part. I get seasick quick!

Lets keep in touch.

Comment

Soldotna, not Soldatna.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                              Are you on Princess cruise? If we are n Anchorage at same time then no doubt lets grab a beer.

Holland America Line

I'll PM you my number,

Comment

Working...
                              X