Do you field dress your deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So hubby and I were helping a friend skin, quarter and debone a his first deer this evening. This is his first year hunting. So he was saying that a couple of the guys he hunts with took their deer to a processor and while they were in line waiting to drop off, there were numerous guys dropping off deer that hadn't been field dressed, as in still had all their guts inside and 100% intact. I asked him 3 times to make sure I we were talking about the same thing.

So, who doesn't field dress their deer and instead go straight to the processor and have them do it? I seriously, didn't even know this was a thing...

Never heard of that either!

Comment

I want to get the meat cold as quickly as possible. Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
        So hubby and I were helping a friend skin, quarter and debone a his first deer this evening. This is his first year hunting. So he was saying that a couple of the guys he hunts with took their deer to a processor and while they were in line waiting to drop off, there were numerous guys dropping off deer that hadn't been field dressed, as in still had all their guts inside and 100% intact. I asked him 3 times to make sure I we were talking about the same thing.

So, who doesn't field dress their deer and instead go straight to the processor and have them do it? I seriously, didn't even know this was a thing...

I have never field dressed a deer in my life. Heck only a couple of times have I ever even gutted a deer. Once I learned how to clean a deer without gutting it that's the way I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Black Ice; 11-20-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

See people do it both ways

Dress it ourselves though and not at the processor

Comment

40 bucks at the local processor to gut your deer and 40 dollars to cape him.

Comment

I saw a guy take a deer to the taxidermist to get caped. He said it was shot just after sunrise. This was around 1:30pm on a mid 80deg. day. It hadn’t been gutted and was gut shot. You could smell it from a ways away.

Comment

Ive hunted with a guy on an old lease that wouldn't field dress his deer, and when I dropped a doe off at my processor yesterday they had a sign up advertising 60 bucks to field dress. Me I dress them where I find them and get them cooled off asap

Comment

I very rarely field dress mine but if I were to use a processor I would for cooling.

I try to have mine hanging asap after killing it. Skin quarter and on ice.

And before you ask, if you're handy with a fillet blade you can remove the tenderloins without gutting the deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I see it all the time as a guide. Never have minded it except for the guys who have no clue how to skin a deer but still insist on giving me pointers haha. Those are the best!

Be careful on deboning the meat however. Unless all the meat stays in camp (final destination), bone must stay in the quarters for it to remain legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      I very rarely field dress mine but if I were to use a processor I would for cooling.

I try to have mine hanging asap after killing it. Skin quarter and on ice.

And before you ask, if you're handy with a fillet blade you can remove the tenderloins without gutting the deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I like to drive mine around on the hood for at least 3 hrs to rustle the jimmies of my fellow TBHer's.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        I like to drive mine around on the hood for at least 3 hrs to rustle the jimmies of my fellow TBHer's.

Hahahahahaha!

Comment

CCR does not accept a non field dressed animal.

Comment

I have always gutted mine. It only takes about 5 minutes. The only reason I could see taking it to the processor not gutted would be not having any water to wash my hands.

If I quarter a deer no gutting required and I get the tenderloins.
                            Last edited by 125Dad; 11-20-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I grew up hunting in SC. Our season opened August 15. It was as hot, or hotter there, than anywhere I've been in Texas. We'd typically hunt from daylight to almost lunch, and then an evening hunt(we hunted with dogs quite a bit). Until I moved out to NM 6 years ago, I had never seen an animal field dressed. Deer killed at daylight stayed whole(with guts in) until we met a little before lunch to clean them.

I'm headed to Bandera this week and if I kill anything, it'll probably stay while until it gets to the processor. I process my own animals now, but I doubt I will on this trip.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X