GOP House Moves Against Public Lands on Its Opening Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not good for outdoorsmen who use public land.

I'm not surprised. This is the same GOP who seems to believe that elevated levels of mercury in our waters and fish is a conservative family value. Our very own Ted Cruz is one of the worst on these issues. I contacted his office about it, but his staff didn't respond.

Maybe conservative sportsmen will wake up at some point.

Comment

Am I misreading something? It looks to me like they voted to take some public lands out of federal control and give it back to the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Am I misreading something? It looks to me like they voted to take some public lands out of federal control and give it back to the states.

Yes, and just about every hunting, fishing and conservation organization in the Western US strongly opposes it. The historical track record of such transfers does not bode well for the hunters, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy access to these public lands. Once in the hands of individual States, sale to private entities and reduced public access becomes a significant concern based on what's happened in the past.

“Forfeiture of our federal public lands is another one of those ideas put forth by reckless politicians looking to makeRead the Rest >>

“Forfeiture of our federal public lands is another one of those ideas put forth by reckless politicians looking to make a short-term splash without any serious thought to the consequences of their actions. This will lead to more gates, more industrial disturbance, and less wildlife. Pardon the frankness, but this is a downright stupid idea.”

- Steven Rinella

Comment

Not good

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
            Yes, and just about every hunting, fishing and conservation organization in the Western US strongly opposes it. The historical track record of such transfers does not bode well for the hunters, fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy access to these public lands. Once in the hands of individual States, sale to private entities and reduced public access becomes a significant concern based on what's happened in the past.

“Forfeiture of our federal public lands is another one of those ideas put forth by reckless politicians looking to makeRead the Rest >>

“Forfeiture of our federal public lands is another one of those ideas put forth by reckless politicians looking to make a short-term splash without any serious thought to the consequences of their actions. This will lead to more gates, more industrial disturbance, and less wildlife. Pardon the frankness, but this is a downright stupid idea.”

- Steven Rinella

So where do you feel we have more control, state or federal level?

Comment

So where do you feel we have more control, state or federal level?

In this case it's better protected with the feds.. Alot of states would sell the land off to build condos in a heart beat..

One thing I love about trump. He was the only republican in the primaries that was against giving federal land to the states because his sons who hunt have educated him on the importance of public land

Comment

Originally posted by deers & beers View Post
                in this case it's better protected with the feds.. Alot of states would sell the land off to build condos in a heart beat..
                ^This

Comment

I'm confused. I'm all about more power to the states and less power to the feds.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                    In this case it's better protected with the feds.. Alot of states would sell the land off to build condos in a heart beat..
                    Maybe so but the feds just use OUR tax dollars to buy land and then restrict us from using it. TPWD does much better about allowing access to public hunting lands.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                      I'm confused. I'm all about more power to the states and less power to the feds.
                      That's what I thought too.

Comment

If all the hunting opportunities on federal land in western states weren't already under the control of the states who are working to further limit non-resident hunters' access to hunting on those federal lands more and more every year, I might be more concerned about all of this. But the fact is that if you don't live in one of those states, you've already lost a LOT of opportunity to hunt there. Trying to play the permit draw game nowadays takes years and years to draw a quality tag, and it costs about as much or more as buying a hunt on private land too.

I don't like having my federal tax dollars spent to support free hunting for people who live in the states that have all the public land while their state governments are fixing it so I have little to no chance of ever hunting there for free myself. If the states are going to make all the rules, then let their residents pay for it all and leave me out. If they end up selling some of the land, then maybe there will be more opportunities for me to buy a landowner tag and go hunt there without waiting 20-30 years to draw one.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          Maybe so but the feds just use OUR tax dollars to buy land and then restrict us from using it. TPWD does much better about allowing access to public hunting lands.
                          As I understand it they also lease a lot of that land, like Sam Houston National Forest, from the Federal Government.

Comment

That must explain why I haven't drawn a hunt on TX state land in 5 years and instead settle for open access to the LBJ National Grasslands.

When it comes to public land hunting, the last thing this country needs is another Texas. The federal public lands out west are a priceless resource for hunters.

Comment

The Feds don't buy much land anymore. And it's the states that limit the tags non residents can draw not the Feds. The states will just sell it all and there will be NO access to the lands for anybody. So this is not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X