Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicycle Hunting

Bicycle Hunting

There are a number of reasons to use a bicycle for hunting.

For me it's the stealth of a bike. I ride up on game all the time because the bike doesn't make any sound or smell.

If you hunt public land they don't allow motorized vehicles off of the roads so if you want to get farther than the guys that are walking, use a bike to go farther.

Many rig a trailer / game kart to help bring in extra gear and to haul game out.

Some folks put a rack across the handlebars, a rack on the rear or a gun case along the top bar of the frame.

Some add a motor but that's because they're lazy or out of shape. It defeats the purpose.

Hmmm

Comment

I usauly pack my bike in the bronco. Most of the times you can find nice cattle trails to ride up. You can cover alot of ground quietly and fast. 4-5 miles up a cattle trail can get you away from the roads pretty good. A couple of places I can cover 12-15 miles making predator stands every 1/2 mile or so.

Comment

Yep, got Fin-Grip Pros for my bar ends on my 2nd Montegue (mil spec version) to carry a slug gun or bow with . I sometimes commute with it too. Very very quiet bike .

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
          Bicycle Hunting

There are a number of reasons to use a bicycle for hunting.

For me it's the stealth of a bike. I ride up on game all the time because the bike doesn't make any sound or smell.

If you hunt public land they don't allow motorized vehicles off of the roads so if you want to get farther than the guys that are walking, use a bike to go farther.

Many rig a trailer / game kart to help bring in extra gear and to haul game out.

Some folks put a rack across the handlebars, a rack on the rear or a gun case along the top bar of the frame.

Some add a motor but that's because they're lazy or out of shape. It defeats the purpose.

Which one is yours????

Comment

I've got a nice mountain bike. I've never really put any thought into how i would bring game out of the woods on it. Interesting ideas in the pics!

Comment

Me and a buddy hunted at Amistad back in 99 and used mountain bikes and lightweight tripods. Just strapped em to the frame and rode way back in there. We used backpacks and just strapped our bows to the packs. I was a lot better than packing em in on foot. I even used my bike on a lease we had in Atascosa County before I bought my 4 wheeler. You can also buy those kid carriers that attach to the seat post for hauling your animal out on.

Comment

yes sir...

Comment

What is the best kind of bike for this type of use.

Comment

Originally posted by bow1000 View Post
                    What is the best kind of bike for this type of use.
                    Any decent mountain bike. Preferably a bike with at least 1.75" x 26" tires.
                    Front suspension is a good thing, rear suspension is nice too.
                    My bike also has a shock in the seat post and I have a soft, springer - cruiser seat.
                    Having a 21-speed is better. It's important to have some LOW gears for climbing and pulling a load / trailer.

My bike is a hybrid. It has a heavy road bike frame, but has front shocks. It's a city commuter bike but it works just fine for hunting.

It has 1.75x26 "enduro" tires, not mountain bike tires but they work fine on a dirt trail. They're also smoother, with less resistance on the street.

I have also rigged my fold-up game cart to attach to the back of my carrier bracket to use as a trailer.

Comment

Hunting in Colorado last year. We were in a place where we could walk up an old closed road. It was up hill walk for about two hours. We came across a couple locals(older fellas) who had been hunting this area for years. The had mountain bikes rigged out with racks and bow holders. Neither had chains. They said that they could not ride up the road anyway, they just pushed them up the mountain and coasted down. They both got deer

Comment

Comment

Swiss military mountain bikes look similar to some of the pictures you have posted, I see them at auction sites, they are top quality and have rifle racks and tire pumps on them and come in military camo, I agree, the person who rides a bike is more likey to score a trophy animal than the usual 4 wheeler or Mule type orv making noise. Where can one order a bike ready made for hunting with racks and etc etc?? How much do they go for?? I think those swiss go over $500 each in mint condition??

Comment

Originally posted by ratterrier View Post
                            Swiss military mountain bikes look similar to some of the pictures you have posted, I see them at auction sites, they are top quality and have rifle racks and tire pumps on them and come in military camo.
                            Some of the Swiss light infantry bikes

This is the Montague folding military bike now used by both the Swiss and a number of U.S. paratrooper units
                            (civilian versions for sale at Sams on occasion)

Comment

The Montague bikes

civilian models > http://www.montagueco.com/bikes/para...ding-bike.html

The Paratrooper military bike > http://www.militarybikes.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X