No announcement yet.

Broadhead weight ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raypo...I shoot BIG broadheads because they make big holes. The animals I shoot don't go far. My bow is now super quiet...tuning is easy and with more FOC I get better accuracy and penetration. Here see for your self. 180gr 1 1/2" cut or 185gr 1 7/8" cut with fixed blades

Pics won't load evern after resizing them.
    Last edited by TEXAS 10PT; 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
      Raypo...I shoot BIG broadheads because they make big holes. The animals I shoot don't go far. My bow is now super quiet...tuning is easy and with more FOC I get better accuracy and penetration. Here see for your self. 180gr 1 1/2" cut or 185gr 1 7/8" cut with fixed blades

Pics won't load evern after resizing them.
      If it works, thats great... Just in myexperience I have had a hard time getting heavy broadheads tuned at longer distances. Im sure there was a sweet spot I never found...

I have pic problems all the time...I feel your pain

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        To the OP, many above have it correct.

If your arrows are perfectly tuned, a difference in point weight can throw them off. That said, 25 grains is a tiny difference and you may not see a noticeable impact.

You will increase front of center and momentum. That is based on math, not opinion. These two things will help with penetration. That is based on physics, not opinion.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Also, something to keep in mind. A heavier arrow means a quieter bow. Sound travels about 4 times faster than your arrow, so no matter how fast you shoot, the deer stands a good chance of moving if it hears the bow/arrow. Point is...a quiet bow trumps a fast bow.
        I agree with you a heavier arrow is much quieter.

Front of center is oblivious the key and many arrows are even weighted to increase penetration. No offense taken, by the way

My argument wasn't an argument at all, just a statement that still is accurate and nearly the same as yours. I understand the KE formula, and that velocity is squared. I also understand that if you have the exact same bow set up, and you increase the arrow weight at a certain point you will loose KE and/or velocity due to the fact the lighter arrow is going so much faster carrying a much higher velocity.

Usually a noise will freeze a deer, and a glimpse at a arrow in flight will cause them to duck...

All in good fun, I hope... everyone has different opinions of how to set up ther bow. What counts is that it works for you...

Comment

Good discussion guys.........I learned a few things, right here

Comment

spine

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            If you are on the edge of the spine of your arrow, it could affect it. If you are loser to the stiff spine side, you probably won't notice anything other than more drop at longer ranges.

If it does make your arrows weak spined, then you can just adjust your draw weight down a little.
            Spine should be the first concern. What 25gr does for energy in miniscuil. What it does for spine could be a disaster. A weak spine will not group well down range. It will still tune but not group.
            Gaining or losing 10 ftlbs of energy is immaterial if you can't hit the chest cavity.

Comment

I don't know about y'all but I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in penetration between a 100 and 125 grain head... Accuracy would/could probably be another story depending on the spine of the shaft.

I just figured the reason most people use 100 or 125 grain heads was because they are more readily available not because they're best... I cant recall the shops I visit ever having anything over 125.. If they had something in the 150-200 range, I'd be using those.

Try each weight out and see which flys the best out of your setup and go hunt...

Comment

The difference in where an arrow hits from 40 in by adding 25gr to your arrow can't be out shot by 75% of the people on this forum. (Provides the spine doesn't become too light)
                Of course if you ask all the experts on here they'll tell you how many inches it costs them at 40 yet ask them to show you and all their groups will be in the same volleyball size group at 40 with the 100 or 125.

Another interesting fact is that more weight help a bow become more quiet that said when you talk about deer dropping, I submit, a deer will drop less at 40 than at 15 because the bow isn't blowing up in his ear. So the more quiet bow will help. If I have the choice I wait till a gust of wind to release so the noise is muffled a little

Comment

The positives about using a heavier arrow for me were the vast difference in the noise level at the shot, the forgiveness and accuracy at longer distances with a heavy arrow and high FOC. I have been shooting for 40+ years and have always been a speed freak, but when I went 150 grains heavier with a large increase in my FOC, everything just got easier for me. Tuning was easier, forgiveness on the shot increased and the noise level almost made me drop my boe the first time i shot my 560 grain arrows. Alos, my pin gaps spread at 30 and 40 and a slight change at 50, but not what I expected. Also on the tuning aspect, I should be shooting a spine in the neighborhood of.240, but I shoot Gold Tip XT Hunters in 75/95 spine, about a .320 spine which are way underspined and my arrows still tune perfectly. This should be a set up that is extremely hard to tune with a way underspined arrow. I shot 3 animals in Africa with this set up at 40, 42 and 50 yards with p[erfect arrow flight and tracking jobs that the fartherest was 50 yards.

Each one of us has to find what works for us and go with it. Lots of set ups will work for TX and most of the US, but it is fun to tinker and I am one of the worst and it is a lot of fun to see wah teveryone else has for hunting setups.

Comment

How do I find the spine of my arrows??? They are Carbon Force Radial X-Weeve STL Hunter 200's........ Like I posted I shoot 63lbs at a 27.5" draw...I guess I really need to get into learning more about arrows and such....Or say I went with a Gold Tip 55/75 then those arrows would work good outta my setup with 125grn head???..THANKS for all y'alls input....

Comment

Get people started on the KE vs Momentum thingy and it gets fun. And, as you can see some are just adamant that their view is the correct one. There are some really good points in this thread and if folks can wade through the egos they might just gain some valuable knowledge. Cheers!
                      Fred

Comment

lol Thanks Fred.....

Comment

Originally posted by XTBrian View Post
                          lol Thanks Fred.....
                          Anytime...I am actually very glad you started this thread as it always leads to some really good discussions. And, the ones you want to chime in are the engineers/physicists as that is really when it gets fun. Cheers!
                          Fred

Comment

There are only 4 sizes in the PSE shafts, 100, 200, 300 and 400 with what looks like the spine increasing with each size because of the weight of each shaft per inch, the 400's being the heaviest. I could not find the spine on them. Based on what info I found, you could possibly be on the line of being underspined, especially if you go with a 125 grain BH, but they may still work like a charm.

Comment

Thanks mudslinger,sorry Fred but I dont understand all that physics stuff

Comment

After the weight and momentum carry your arrow through the animal, most of the KE goes with the arrow and into the dirt. KE is useless in bowhunting!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X