No announcement yet.

Building a house on a floodplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can pretty much build where ever you want to build if you have enough money..
    I live in Brazoria county and see it all of the time but that's also why Iv seen houses with 5-10 feet of water in them.. It doesn't seem to slow folks down though...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
      Where is the property located?

Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Things I suggest people never do when buying or building a home...

Build/buy downwind of the city landfill
        Build/buy by an airport
        build/buy down range of a gun range
        build/buy in a floodplain
        build/buy next to an interstate

Comment

You would think Milam County, with the big Brazos River and the Little River would have flood plans but when we bought our property they did not. No information.

But, we are rural - closest town is 10 miles. Like others have said - check with your county.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
            Said that nothing can be hauled in or out of a flood zone.
            There is 500 year (orange), 100 year (blue) and flood way (red cross hatched). My understanding is that you can not haul in or out of a floodway (which is basically a stream bed).

The Houston Medical Center is pretty much entirely built in the 500 year.
            Attached Files

Comment

Like others have said it depends on your county. Flood insurance only comes from the government as far as I know so you need to ask your agent to find out if they will issue a policy and what the conditions are. Personally I would build on stilts like they do in Louisiana and in Galveston. The issue of course is your soil... piers aren't cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X