Worksharp combo belt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worksharp combo belt question

I have a brand new workshop combo that came with two belts.

My question is do I need different grit belts for different kinds of knives.

Like household knives vs hunting knives.

Thanks for the assist.

The belts are different grits. Coarse to Fine. Use the same for all knives. I use the coarse grit. Very rarely change to finer grit unless I am trying to get the edge razor sharp.

Comment

Did it not come with instructions? I believe they usually come with three color (grits)belts.

Comment

Use the coarse belt to establish the new angle on your knives. After that you can use the medium and fine belts to touch them up

Comment

I use coarse for machetes and hatchets. The the fine for knives. It takes a lot of metal off, so I use fine for kitchen knives unless I need to fix an edge.

Comment

If you have a thin paring knife, start with your finest grit and work back to the medium if you need to. The green belts is really a grinding belt and not a sharpening belt. You won't need that one unless you're creating a new edge or you have a severely damaged blade. hope that helps and safe sharpening!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              Did it not come with instructions? I believe they usually come with three color (grits)belts.

http://www.worksharptools.com/work-sharp-user-guides

It’s the smaller Work sharp and no it did not come with three different belts

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                Just send it to me as it sounds too complicated for you to use without cutting yourself.

Comment

If it is the same one I got, it should have come with 3 belts? I have the non Ken Onion edition. Usually $69-$79. Also, instruction manual tells exactly what you need to know.

Comment

If it is the same one I got, it should have come with 3 belts? I have the non Ken Onion edition. Usually $69-$79. Also, instruction manual tells exactly what you need to know.
                    Well it did not.

Comment

Well it did not.
                      I think I would be returning it. Did it have an instruction manual?

Comment

I think I would be returning it. Did it have an instruction manual?
                        It was only supposed to come with two belts. That's what is on the box. The instructions do not talk about the different belts.

Comment

I have a work sharp and use the very course to get the angle right , I use the progressively lighter belts to fine tune , then use a leather strop to finish
                          As I find that a work sharp is lacking in getting a REAL true working edge ( unless you buy a aftermarket leather belt with polish wax)
                          I do have some expensive custom knives that a WS is a waste of time it try and sharpen

Comment

If it has colored bands, you might download the instructions from the link above for the next model up. They talk about which belts to used based on color (and grit) and which knifes to use each with and how to use them. Did it come with colored bands and if so, which colors?

Comment

YouTube has some good videos on it. I’ve never gotten used to mine. Seems to take off too much material for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X