• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    Looks good Johnny

After 13hrs it finally reached temp

Had to finish in the oven, all the charcoal burnt up before it finished

Resting it now, will let it cool after it spends some time in the warm oven and heat up and cut tomorrow evening. Finished too late to eat tonight, but I figured it would and planned accordingly

Going to make Smart's beans and a potatoe salad to go with it
    That sucks! I been looking at those and pellet cookers......Think im gonna stick with a stick burner. I sold my big pit last year and cook on a 55 gallon drum, but im ready to build or buy a smaller offset cooker. They are just so versatile i can't seem to go another route.....plus I got an endless supply of mesquite!

Comment

Looks good Johnny

Resting it now, will let it cool after it spends some time in the warm oven and heat up and cut tomorrow evening. Finished too late to eat tonight, but I figured it would and planned accordingly

Brian

4Wheels argued with me about charcoal. He fills his up big time. I called BGE and they told me he was right. Fill it up to the middle seam.
      I can get 4 or 5 regular meals on one fill up now.....

Comment

Looks good Johnny

I have never had mine run out of charcoal during a cook? I do have the BGE blower and T-stat that hooks up to the vent, I don’t use it for regular meals but when I want to maintain a certain temp for a long time it works amazing! The one I have comes with two probs to keep up with your meat and grill temp, they even have them that are WiFi compatible and it will send you notifications or you can change the temp from your phone! Just like anything else there is a little bit of a learning curve. If you want to be convinced of it’s worth check out the smoked turkey recipe that BGE has, I never even heard of a brine until I done my first one on the BGE now my wife wants turkey 3-4 times a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          Brian

4Wheels argued with me about charcoal. He fills his up big time. I called BGE and they told me he was right. Fill it up to the middle seam.
          Originally posted by TBrandum View Post
          I have never had mine run out of charcoal during a cook? I do have the BGE blower and T-stat that hooks up to the vent, I don’t use it for regular meals but when I want to maintain a certain temp for a long time it works amazing! The one I have comes with two probs to keep up with your meat and grill temp, they even have them that are WiFi compatible and it will send you notifications or you can change the temp from your phone! Just like anything else there is a little bit of a learning curve. If you want to be convinced of it’s worth check out the smoked turkey recipe that BGE has, I never even heard of a brine until I done my first one on the BGE now my wife wants turkey 3-4 times a year!
          I think it had to do with the learning curve of choking the fire down

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
          No pics it did not happen...
          This ain't over yet Stan, will be posting pics when I cut it up later
          Stay tuned

Comment

Nothing wrong with finishing it in the oven if its beenwrapped. Heat is heat after its wrapped. The wood or charcoal in this instance has done its job.

Need slice pics..

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
              Brian

That’s weird that he ran out of charcoal. I don’t know the capacity comparison between BGE and an Akorn, but I filled mine and ran at smoker temps for 16 hours and then opened her up full bore and ran at 700+ degrees for another 3 hours.

I will say this a loaded charcoal pit can make temp control more difficult to manage because it chokes airflow, and that can lead to sooty smoldering smokes.

Comment

Don’t tell me you ate it all before getting a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No pic No proof!

Comment

Well, how was it?

Comment

Beans just went on smoker

Ran out of time BJ, going to heat it back up and slice it around 6

Will post pics

Whole Hog potato salad is on the menu too

Comment

Ok now that the brisket and sides are being digested I can post pics

Need to Prove to Stan that it actually happened

Smart’s smoked beans were good

Whole hog potato salad

Overall I think it turned out pretty dang good for my first brisket
                        Yes there is some room for improvement

Comment

looks very good. congrats in the egg

Comment

I’d say you did well, looks great!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Overall I think it turned out pretty dang good for my first brisket
                                Yes there is some room for improvement
                                There is always room for improvement.

FedEx me a brisket and I will consume it and write a full critique. It may take several tries before I can get you dialed in, but I am willing to do the work to help you improve. I'd guess after 5-6 briskets we will have you batting 1000.

Throw in some beans and tater salad while you're at it. No sense in letting them lag behind if we can get them on the top of their game too.

Comment

Working...
                                X