Lease with goats on land???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease with goats on land???

Looked at a lease in central Texas today that had goats on it.
    think I will pass any experience with goats on your lease?

Originally posted by allenshawn1 View Post
    Looked at a lease in central Texas today that had goats on it.
    think I will pass any experience with goats on your lease?
    Hog panel will keep them out. However, some of them will stick their heads through the panel and get stuck. I have seen it happen on two occasions when I hunted in Ozona one season.

Comment

Those ain't goats......them are Mexican whitetails! They eat good.

Comment

Had them on a family place in Ozona. We had no feeders or blinds on the place so didn't have to worry about them much. Just part of west texas ranching.Tons of wildlife on that place.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
          Hog panel will keep them out. However, some of them will stick their heads through the panel and get stuck. I have seen it happen on two occasions when I hunted in Ozona one season.
          Use goat panels not cattle panels. Or put chicken wire around the cattle panels and it’s fine

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Use goat panels not cattle panels. Or put chicken wire around the cattle panels and it’s fine
            Oops.....yep, meant that. The smaller the holes the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
              Oops.....yep, meant that. The smaller the holes the better.
              I use chicken wire and cattle panels. Goat panels are pretty dang expensive.

Comment

Just part of hunting. Not as bad as cows or horses as they're easier to keep out imo.

Typically a good sheep or goat operation will wipe out all yotes. That's good for your fawn crop, no fun if you like to hunt yotes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

If it’s in a high population of deer it really will not hurt anything because you will see deer i have hunted on two different places that had goats they are noisy dudes and Yes they are a pain but so are cows and almost anywhere you hunt will have cows on it !!

Comment

I had a place by Jacksboro that was awesome for several years. Then old man owner put a bunch of sheep/goat on there and.... poof! No more deer!!
                    We went from 10-15 deer per sit to maybe 1-2 per couple sits.
                    Stupid things are loud and stink. They crap everywhere and eat all the food the deer want.
                    I will never lease a place with sheep or goats again. We gave a 3 seasons with the goats and it never produced good again so we left.

Comment

We have had a smaller herd for the 10 years I've been on our place. I hate the 2-3 bottle fed rescues (on average/year) we have around the outside of the camp fence because they are a PITA. Mostly just annoying, trying to sneak in our gate when its open, crap on the front porch or jumping on our flatbed trailer and making racket. It's always a great day when those particular ones go to the sale barn.

But, in general, we have very few problems with the herd we have while hunting since we all have good pens. I have had them walk through 6-8 times in those 10 years but the deer really don't pay them any attention. We see them on TC occasionally as well passing through outside the pens and I have TC pics of deer in my pen with a few goats outside the pen looking in. In fact, I had a goat scratch on my blind before I killed my big browtine buck this year.

My LO is primarily a cattle farmer so we've probably had more deer scared through the years when cows walk through than the goats. Although when the deer are hungry and food supplies are lower, like in the winter, they don't care about anything that doesn't jump in the pen with them.

Would I rather they not be there? Sure...But I understand the cows and goats are just part of my landowner's income so we deal with them. Those Californian Mexicans pay good money for those stinking vermin according to my LO.....We do pretty well so other than the bottle fed turds, it's no big deal...
                      Last edited by Smart; 06-16-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

If anyone is interested in a 3 person lease in gatesville 160 acre with electric, let me know. I think he pulled from craigs list, but think it's still available. $1500 a gun. Just looks over grazed and leasors rotate out every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          We have had a smaller herd for the 10 years I've been on our place. I hate the 2-3 bottle fed rescues (on average/year) we have around the outside of the camp fence because they are a PITA. Mostly just annoying, trying to sneak in our gate when its open, crap on the front porch or jumping on our flatbed trailer and making racket. It's always a great day when those particular ones go to the sale barn.

But, in general, we have very few problems with the herd we have while hunting since we all have good pens. I have had them walk through 6-8 times in those 10 years but the deer really don't pay them any attention. We see them on TC occasionally as well passing through outside the pens and I have TC pics of deer in my pen with a few goats outside the pen looking in. In fact, I had a goat scratch on my blind before I killed my big browtine buck this year.

My LO is primarily a cattle farmer so we've probably had more deer scared through the years when cows walk through than the goats. Although when the deer are hungry and food supplies are lower, like in the winter, they don't care about anything that doesn't jump in the pen with them.

Would I rather they not be there? Sure...But I understand the cows and goats are just part of my landowner's income so we deal with them. Those Californian Mexicans pay good money for those stinking vermin according to my LO.....We do pretty well so other than the bottle fed turds, it's no big deal...
                          This. If they have been on the place for years you’ll just need to fence them out of the feeders. The deer get used to them just like they get used to cattle, ranchers, etc. Heck, our rancher sees bigger deer than we do hauling arse around the lease in his white dually feeding the cows. Just a part of it.

When we had goats, we would keep a feeder going near camp that didn’t have a pen that they would congregate around. Kept them up front while we deer hunted in back. Worked nicely.
                          Last edited by 88 Bound; 06-16-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X