No announcement yet.

SCOTUS upholds freedom of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 to 2 ruling by the SCOTUS but look at the title of the article by NBC. Spin away, a narrow victory 7-2 is not narrow dumbass.

Comment

LOL>..........not even close! The two that dissented are the farthest left on the Supreme Court, not much of a surprise. Bottom line, the SCOTUS got it right. May be far too late for the small bakery business but hopefully this stops other nonsensical lawsuits like that nationwide.

Comment

I expected Kennedy to rule in favor of the bakers ( kind of a stretch to call him a "conservative" though - he's more 50/50) but Breyer and Kagan voted with the majority. That is a nice surprise.

Comment

My position on this case was to counter to the liberals this situation: I decide for Easter Sunday I wish to have a honey baked ham. I go down the street to the nearest butcher (happens to be Halal) and demand that regardless of their religious beliefs I am a paying customer and demand my Easter Ham. The liberals would of lost their minds in the other direction. Cant have it both ways.

Comment

I'm not sure the opinion is as strong in favor of religious freedom as most (at least on here) would have hoped. It sounds like it was "narrow" not by the number of votes but in the applicability of the opinion. I have not yet read the opinion, but based on what I've seen so far, it sounds like the reason for ruling in favor of the baker was due to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission's hostility to religion and the baker.

But what do I know, I didn't even stay at a a Holiday Inn last night.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
              I'm not sure the opinion is as strong in favor of religious freedom as most (at least on here) would have hoped. It sounds like it was "narrow" not by the number of votes but in the applicability of the opinion. I have not yet read the opinion, but based on what I've seen so far, it sounds like the reason for ruling in favor of the baker was due to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission's hostility to religion and the baker.

But what do I know, I didn't even stay at a a Holiday Inn last night.
              You're right, it even states that on the link posted above.

Comment

Nowth they can hath a Twinkie cake! Gunths up Biathes!

Comment

Ironic that it was Justice Kennedy that wrote the majority opinion. He also wrote the majority opinion in "Obergefel" declaring same sex marriage to be legal in all states.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    You're right, it even states that on the link posted above.
                    You and him are right, if you look a the link above, its in there.

Comment

How about a cartoon of Mohammed cake from a muslim baker? Remember the libs aren't against religious liberties; they are against the liberties of Christians in general.

Comment

Why was this even up for debate? As a business owner you should have to ability to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Pretty dumb we wasted time on this.

Comment

I think the point has been missed on the SCOTUS decision. They didn't agree that he has the right to refuse service based on his religious beliefs- they struck down the earlier courts decision that he couldn't because they didn't give him a fair hearing based on his religious beliefs. In other words, the lower court didn't give him a fair hearing due to belittling of freedom of religion and his religious beliefs preventing him from serving them. My pastor has a perfect answer to all of this because we know that many of the LGBT community will target businesses like this to go after to see if they can get a lawsuit against them. She, yes I said she, says they should post a sign saying they will not refuse any business based on religious beliefs but will donate the money from that sale to organizations that combat life styles that go against their religious beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                          X