No announcement yet.

Too Hot to Hunt????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old man would ask me "What do you think they're gonna do, go inside? that's what they live in get out there and hunt" It has allowed me to kill a couple critters hearing that advice.

Comment

Never to hot for hunting !!!
      Just get em on ice fast

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I'd hunt them at night. lol. Good luck.
        X2, this is how we have been killing Nilgai on our lease as they don't come on our lease until well after dark. Of course we also kill tons of pigs after dark also.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
          X2, this is how we have been killing Nilgai on our lease as they don't come on our lease until well after dark. Of course we also kill tons of pigs after dark also.

In Victoria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll second what Shane said, plus:

Get out very early in the morning and carefully move in close to a roaring buck with the breeze in your face. Pay attention to the direction he may be moving in. Beware of getting busted by other deer. If you work it right and get lucky you could get your shot at first light or shortly after. When slipping around for a shot choose thicker areas and move as slowly as possible. You gotta see em before they see you and there’s usually many eyes watching. If you can catch a buck alone he’s in trouble. They’re gonna want to drink every morning and afternoon. I recently found the best times to be from daylight to mid morning, and then from 5 or 6 on til dark with about 6:30 pm being very busy at the waterholes. I hunt hard from before daylight until it gets very hot, then I go in and siesta until about 4 pm when I hit em again until dark. They can be called if you know how but if you’re not well practiced at it you’ll do more harm than good.

I’ve hunted them a good bit in every season and in my opinion the month of June is hands down the hottest time to be out after them.

Good Luck and tell Larry hello from us TBH’ers. He’s got a many a fan here!

I’ve spent a lot of time with these

Comment

Early mornings and late evenings

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

They move plenty throughout the day, even in the heat. I was told the axis in SE Edwards are in full rut right now and acting very rut-dumb. I’ll be after them this weekend.

Comment

Can you ask Larry if his heritage lineage is traced back to the South Pacific? I have never heard of that name pronounced the way he does. I know 2 Shuns and never heard of a Soon like Monsoon. Red headed step child Andy Dalton could knock some since into him. So tired of monsoon pulling the pistola like he is some stud

Comment

Just take a lot of cold beer. You won’t even notice the heat.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                      Just take a lot of cold beer. You won’t even notice the heat.

Skinny
                      Can I borrow a couple cases of CL for the lake? I may drown in it after baylor game

Comment

Gary, Ours on the ranch were roaring all day last weekend.....

Comment

It's a dry heat.

Comment

I think that Larry is going to bring a cameraman and if he does, I am sure that he will air on his show, TRAILING THE HUNTER'S MOON. I am not sure if I will air on my show, CARNIVORE, as CARNIVORE is all predator and hog hunting. The main reason that I am bringing Steve is in the event we find any predators or hogs. We will video the axis hunt and see if TTHA or someone else wants it.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                              I think that Larry is going to bring a cameraman and if he does, I am sure that he will air on his show, TRAILING THE HUNTER'S MOON. I am not sure if I will air on my show, CARNIVORE, as CARNIVORE is all predator and hog hunting. The main reason that I am bringing Steve is in the event we find any predators or hogs. We will video the axis hunt and see if TTHA or someone else wants it.
                              Adios,
                              Gary
                              You could focus on calling axis for your show. Although axis aren't carnivores, if they come to a call I think your viewers would enjoy watching that too. You'd get to be the carnivore this time. Regardless, good luck on your hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                                Next Tuesday I am supposed to meet up with two gents from Ruger and my Buddy, Larry Weishuhn to hunt Axis between Garven Store and Rocksprings. I checked the weather and they are predicting 102-105 degrees while we are there. We will be hunting with Ruger Redhawks in .44 Mag tipped off with Trijicon RMR sights. I will be shooting Hornady 240 grain XTP ammo.
                                Believe it or not, I have never killed an axis buck, only does for meat...this will be something new and different for me. I hope that the excessive heat does not slow them from moving as I plan to do some calling, rattling and when all else fails, spot and stalk to the roaring bucks.
                                Adios,
                                Gary
                                man last time I saw a vid of Larr he looked pretty rough. Looked like he was in a accident and having a heck of a time getting around.

Think watering holes and you will be fine

Comment

Working...
                                X