I'm Really Enjoying Blank Baling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Really Enjoying Blank Baling

Say, what? How can that be? First off, I've let it be known in multiple posts that I don't believe blank (or blind) baling represents effective relief to most archers afflicted with target panic (TP). Nothing's changed there. Thing is, we are all human, and humanity is by its very nature, not patient. Most who advocate blank baling as providing for the alleviation of TP recommend doing it for weeks, if not months, on end. A non-starter for most.

So back to the original question - how might I actually be "enjoying" it, and why would I be doing it to begin with?

Two-part answer:

1) After having had arthroscopic shoulder surgery, I now shoot shorter arrows with a different spine (to accommodate the decrease in strength and flexibility accompanying the results of said surgery). Basically, I just wanted to see how those arrows were flying without the attendant pressure of feeling I needed to achieve any kind of score.

I do recommend a certain amount of blank baling to all who are either starting out in archery, or changing something about their shooting style or equipment.

2) It really is fun to watch the arrows group so well without worrying about where that grouping is on the target face. I've also placed a camera tripod with my digital 35mm video cam on it in order to get a feel for how I'm drawing and where I'm drawing to (using a recurve as opposed to a compound with a hard stop).

A camera on a tripod can indeed help any archer detect minor flaws in his game. Using the audio with each arrow can likewise help figure out the reason for a mis-hit, and why those mis-hits go where they do.

I've been blank baling for a few days now, and plan to do it for at least a few more. I've noticed some things about both my set-up and drawing process I'd like to work on. While shooting at the blank bale, my mind is quiet, quiet, quiet. Serenity is rare when trying to shoot for a score; even if you're doing it in your back yard without anyone watching.

Now, do I think this blank baling kick will result in better scores once a spot is in front of me? Don't know yet, but it can't hurt. My form should be improved, the arrows more closely matching my new shorter draw length, and more consistency might even come out of it. We'll just have to wait and see. Meanwhile, I do think that such a regimen can often be helpful to virtually all archers, and I know that I won't be limited to blank baling for a fortnight or more. It's all good.

Try it for the above reasons, understanding that you don't have to keep it up till the cows come home. It just might have otherwise unanticipated positive results.

Is this still an archer/bowhunters' message board, or just another social media outlet talking about whatever comes to mind?

I put the same post up on another archery message board, and got incisive feedback from multiple members. I've noticed less and less real archery posts with corresponding fewer replies over the last few years.

It used to be that anything even on the periphery of target panic would generate actual interest around here. I seem to recall a post by Low Fence that went five pages with guys talking about their successes and failures in dealing with TP, including various worthwhile practice routines. Where did all that go?

Comment

We’re discussing bacon wrapped corn at the moment we’ll get back with you shortly

Comment

And how to post multiple items for sale

Comment

I think it could certainly be helpful as it helps to ease/relax the mind. I would liken it to pistol shooting. To be more specific, people tend to anticipate recoil and "physically" push the gun forward as a counter. If said people go out and shoot the pistol more often, without concentrating on hitting a target, they soon learn to allow the recoil to be handled subconsciously much quicker than if shooting while trying to hit a target. Once recoil is managed subconsciously, pistol shooters are significantly more consistent. Obviously, there is not really recoil associated with archery, but there are things in the arrow flinging process that could be done subconsciously to allow the mind some freedom. Mis dos centavos!!

Comment

And another insightful post from “AJ the toilet paper guru”![emoji12]

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

I though it said " black ballin' "

In for tips!

Comment

I don’t overthink archery. I just let it fly and wish it well. As you know I’m one of those people that keep arrow companies in business. I compare it to rifle shooting - Some just burn powder and then some bench shoot - I’m a powder burner you seem to be a bench shooter

Comment

I can personally testify that Glen does like to burn powder.... and along the way, he does a remarkable job of keeping the arrow companies in business.

Not sure about bench shooting, but I do think blank baling is a good way to find out if a new set of arrows is flying the way you think they should fly.

Btw, Glen - the AAC has a new field range which I personally will complete tomorrow by placing target faces on all 14. That would be a great way for you to burn some powder - all the way up to 80 yds!

Comment

Working...
                    X