Turning Pasture into Yard!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning Pasture into Yard!?

We are finally going to close to start the construction of our family home on the the 9th. My yard is about 1.5 acres that was part of cattle pasture until I fenced it off. It doesn't look bad in pics, but man it is bumpy as all get out on a zero turn mower. What is the best way to smooth this out and get rid of all the bumps? We have tractor/bucket/discs/box blade. Is there an attachment I could rent to really help on this?

Thanks for any help guys!
    Attached Files

I did the same thing several years ago. I assume that's coastal?

Just keep mowing... it'll smooth out quicker than you think.

Comment

Another option.

Comment

Why not disc it up and smoothe it off? The grass should be fine and come right back. Just a thought.

Comment

I was in the same boat when we built our house several years ago. Quickest way to smooth it out would be to get a load or two of sand. Spread it as thin as you can with the box blade then get a mesh drag (like ya use on a baseball field) and drag it behind your mower. It will level things out pretty quick. Or you can leave it as is and in a year or so it will start to smooth itself out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post

This!
              Don't know much about east TX, but out here in your polar opposite once you break the soil surface it po's the rock gods and they start reproducing.

Comment

A 3 point tiller attachment for your tractor would work pretty good. Then you could plant whatever grass you want also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First, if your zero turn doesn't have a suspension seat, get one.

BOx blade will help. Do it before a rain and bare spots will have grass again pretty fast.

Comment

You could use your disc to break up the soil and then rent a 3pt land leveler (I think thats what they are called) that works similar to a box blade, but with a horizontal scraper to level out the high spots. After that reseed quickly to establish cover and prevent erosion. This might be something you want to look at closer to fall as you want to ensure plenty of rainfall to get the grass established. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      First, if your zero turn doesn't have a suspension seat, get one.

BOx blade will help. Do it before a rain and bare spots will have grass again pretty fast.
                      I have a commercial grade ZTR with suspension seat so its not too rough on me but still don't want to beat my deck to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post

I would think it is coastal. I am certain this is an ignorant question, but how will just mowing level out the ground?

Comment

Disc the bumps out. The spots that we disced grew back way faster than the box bladed spots.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                            You could use your disc to break up the soil and then rent a 3pt land leveler (I think thats what they are called) that works similar to a box blade, but with a horizontal scraper to level out the high spots. After that reseed quickly to establish cover and prevent erosion. This might be something you want to look at closer to fall as you want to ensure plenty of rainfall to get the grass established. Just my thoughts.
                            Where would you think to rent?

Comment

Buy a chain harrow. Will work well for thatch, aeration, and flip over and use as a drag to level. 300-500 bucks depending on size you go with.

Comment

Working...
                              X