Key West recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key West recommendations

The wife and I are headed to Key West for a few days. Flying out tonight and driving from ft Lauderdale tomorrow. We plan on just beaching/exploring and tarpon fishing Monday. Any recommendations that are must see/do while there? Didn’t do as much homework on the place as I wanted.

Thanks

JRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife liked the Dry Tortugas National Park.

Comment

Key Lime Pie, 6 Toed Cats, Southernmost US Point, lots of shops and restaurants, etc. My wife and I went a few years back for her business trip, so I had a couple of days to myself. Rented a moped and drove all over the place. Had a blast just sight seeing etc. She would ride on the back of the moped at night for dinner and such. Easiest way to get around.

One day I went sky diving with an outfit there. Absolutely beautiful place to drop.

Cool place, but you are gonna see some stuff that will surprise you! Haha!

Comment

Its been a long time since I was there, but the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum was a highlight.
        And watching all the 'fruits and nuts' at sundown at the docks, . . .

Comment

Get a Earnest Hemingway book or compilation of his short stories to read on the way down there. Then go to Sloppy Joe's (the bar he frequented) and tour his house which is now a museum.

Comment

Carolines on duval street! Hogfish bar and grill on stock island

Comment

stop by Robbies on lower matacumbe key and feed the tarpon. cheapest and most fun entertainment for sure.

Comment

Stop at Bass Pro shops on the way through, Key Largo state park, Hogs Breath and Irish Kevin's, Lighthouse tour, Hemingway house, yes cats have 6 toes. Rickshaw tour, one of the drivers looks like Robin Williams. Scuba and Snorkeling are a plus.

Comment

A few years ago, we flew into Miami and drove to Key West from there. Decent drive, but if we ever decide to head back to Key West, we probably would just catch the connecting puddle jumper. Lots of traffic, two lane road much of the way and although some of the views were good, the drive from Miami was somewhat a bit of a let down for us.

Definitely check out the Key Deer

On Key West, the Hemmingway mansion is a good tour. Also, check out the Southernmost point, which is a good place for a few pictures. There's a park on the western side of the island, which is great for sunsets.

Overall, a pretty interesting place to say the least. We may head back there some day. Fishing is great, but everything else seemed about mediocre. Sure, there's Duvall street and drinking, but you can get a lot of places. Not much in the way of beaches and Scuba diving was below average at best (at least compared to other tropical destinations).
                  Last edited by CaptainDave; 04-20-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Rent a moped for the entire trip, will make getting around much easier and plenty of parking for them vs. a car.

Comment

stay away from tourist bars like boarshead/m-ville... find a pub crawl tour of the local bars... much more enjoyable..

Comment

Key lime pie dipped in chocolate on a stick!
                        We had a good time at the Hog's Breath saloon.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Forgot to mention the wife is preggo so will have to skip the bar scene for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you go fishing, do NOT go with Cowboy Charters!

Comment

Green Parrot!

Comment

Working...
                              X