No announcement yet.

I got drawn elephant mountain..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went last year and had a blast! Tough hunt but there are some really good deer. I missed a really nice 8pt (like 150 class) and got in range of another really nice one. Hope u have good strong legs bc if not I don't know how successful you will be. There is water all over the place at the base and top of the mountain so I don't know how successful hunting the water would be. Unless u found some water around mid mountain. If u get one of the units up front give me a call and I will give u some pointers. I will pm you my number. My advice would be glass and find a deer then go after him. The hunt is not long enough to try and learn anything thing about the deer.

Comment

Beautiful country out there.

Comment

So your the one who got my spot. Good luck on the hunt.

Comment

Congrats. I got drawn at Black Gap the same week so I will be about 50-60 miles east of you. I was at elephant mountain 2 years ago on a youth doe hunt with my nephews. Saw a ton a bucks but no doe. Even had this one walk within 17 yards of us while we were all 4 of us standing in open.

Strangest thing I ever saw. Pic is off of tv as only had video camera going. We saw at least a dozen bucks with 3 or 4 shooters. They encouraged us to slowly drive and spot and when we saw something to then get out and stalk. We did practice stalk a spike to see how close we could get. The 4 of us got within about 110yds. Temps were in the high 20s to low 30s most of the time so being in the truck worked good for my nephews. Don't remember name of pasture but we were on the north end. Directly opposite the headquarters on the other side of elephant mountain. Most bucks were in the draws in the rough areas near the north and west property lines. We were there in January though. Decent camping facility on site with a bathroom. Shoot me a pm if you want more info. Be happy to share my limited experience

Comment

It's a beautiful place. I hunted there a few years ago. Didn't get anything but enjoyed the scenery. Enjoy your hunt.

Comment

My nephew got drawn as well, I'll find out what dates...

Comment

This should be fun to watch. Good luck.

Comment

I have hunted in that area all my life. Water is the key. Some years it is only at the wells, other years it is everywhere.

I own land that has a spring fed water source. It always looks like it is disked up.

Comment

Working...
                  X