No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa wants to let TPWD run the hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been told the regional guy that we need to be talking to is RDTUGGLE@FWS.GOV
    There aren't many responses to this thread. I hope that texas bowhunters are taking a few minutes to send emails to help out those of us who love public land hunting and count on Laguna Atascosa hunting as a dependable family hunt.

Comment

Email sent

Comment

ttt

Comment

Didn't they already give over authority to TPWD? I think there was link on Texas Hunting forum,

Comment

I hope everything works out for the best. I look forward to the archery hunting there every year. $130 is gonna be a lot for that tough of a hunt. I'll keep my eyes on this post.

Comment

Any word on the status of the"possible" changes?

Comment

For $130.00 I should be able to drive in to my area and have my nilgai skinned and quartered. Lol.

I have only hunted Laguna once. One thing I did notice was the affordability and all the local hunters who hunt it exclusively and who other wise wouldn't have an opportunity to hunt on a great place like that.

I would hate to see that opportunity severely restricted by one of TPWD unicorn draws. Because you would have better chance of drawing out for one of those. I have been putting in for the Chap for 8 years now, haven't been drawn yet. I through in the towel last year.
                Last edited by Muddy Bud; 04-19-2016, 04:03 AM.

Comment

I sent another email requesting an update on what they have decided. I also requested that the hunters input they recieved be published as public record once this process is done. I'm assuming like most of my emails it will be ignored. We will see.

Comment

Has anybody heard what the final word on this is?

Comment

Last word I recieved from the refuge manager was they were still pushing to make the transition to TPWD but it probably wouldn't happen this year. I made several request to have the "public input" published but have been ignored everytime. They don't want to talk about what the public wants for obvious reasons. As usual the government has little interest in what the people want.

Comment

Been following these threads, I just got off the phone with Mr. Gustafson (aast refuge mgr) he said the TPW IS FOR SURE handling the application process starting this year. He had just completed the email to TPW for the final dates etc. So I will be watching the TPW site for the info to be posted. He and I spoke for about 30 min in much detail about the process and procedures for this application process. Getting the refuge on the phone is almost impossible so if you have a question that I can possibly answer feel free to shoot me a PM and I will pass on any information that I have that can help..

Comment

Originally posted by countryrebel View Post
                          Been following these threads, I just got off the phone with Mr. Gustafson (aast refuge mgr) he said the TPW IS FOR SURE handling the application process starting this year. He had just completed the email to TPW for the final dates etc. So I will be watching the TPW site for the info to be posted. He and I spoke for about 30 min in much detail about the process and procedures for this application process. Getting the refuge on the phone is almost impossible so if you have a question that I can possibly answer feel free to shoot me a PM and I will pass on any information that I have that can help..
                          Very sad news

Comment

I emailed my opinion on the subject and this is what I got in return.

Thank you for your response to the changes coming to Laguna's hunt program. You bring up valid points about the monumental task it takes Laguna to process permits. And, it is not just during the month of August, in which we process the archery permits, but the entire process through September and October, in which we process firearm permits. This huge amount of time and expense can simply and easily be done through the Texas Parks and Wildlife online application system.

Let me clarify one point you made, the only part of the process that TPW is involved in is the application process. They will not be in charge of the hunts on Laguna.

However, there are changes to the application process because of the requirements of TPW. There will be a processing fee of $2.50. The firearm hunts will stay the same at $80/permit. The archery permits will increase to $130/permit. All hunts will be random draw.

But, the benefits to the hunting community are many. There will be no more standing in line to purchase permits. There will be no more mailing in applications and waiting for the mail to return a permit. You can simply apply for the permit online. You can pay online, with a debit/credit card. You can apply for other hunters. You will be able to hunt in parties of 4. There will be preference points given to those hunters not drawn, something we have never been able to do. The TPW system will maintain your hunter information, so that when you apply next year, it will be quick and easy. You can also see hunts available in Texas and plan your whole hunt year.

Comment

How is the TPWD draw working out?

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                                How is the TPWD draw working out?
                                Hasn't happened yet. I am liking my chances. Everyone is going in with 1 point. I have applied via the old way for 7 years and gotten nuttin.

Comment

Working...
                                X