Elephant mountain hunt last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephant mountain hunt last week

Well the hunt was great, very tough but great. I was not able to get anything but I did let an arrow fly on a very nice 4x4 but missed. My rangefinder quit working while I was there and I guessed him at 60 and I was wrong. I stepped it off after the shot and he was at 75. I did have the opportunity to shoot 3 other bucks but they were all smaller and I was seeing some really nice bucks so I passed them up. that and I was far enough in that I did not want to pack out a smaller buck by myself that far. In all I saw probably 15MD bucks, 5-10 MD does and 4 white tail does. I was able to stalk within bow range to 6 different bucks (passed on 3 smaller ones) missed one and for different reasons not able to get a shot off on the other two times. I had a blast and will definitely put in for the draw again. This is not an easy hunt!!!!
    It is very rugged terrain, and I had to work to find most of the deer I saw. It was a very rewarding hunt even though I did not go home with a deer.

Sounds like a good time.

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt and it's awesome that you at least got to shoot at a buck!

Comment

Thanks for the review.

Comment

Very cool. Sure hope I am able to get drawn soon. Looking forward to this hunt.

Comment

Great report!!! Thanks for posting it up. Taking a mulie on public land with a bow under constrained time conditions like that is taking on quite a challenge. Sounds like you had a great hunt.

Comment

im jealous

Comment

It was fun man. Good to get to meet you.

Comment

Good to meet u also, hopefully we can get another hunt out ther some day.

Comment

Thats awesome. Those types of hunts are always fun. I'll keep putting in as long as i'am able to hunt. Nothing like glassing big country with spot and stalk!

Comment

Sounds like it was fun. Sounds like you got some pretty mad skills too! Glad you enjoyed it, better luck next time.

Comment

I wouldn’t call it mad skills, I did miss. I knew that I did not have much time so I got pretty aggressive with stalking when I saw an animal I wanted to go after. It did help that everything was pretty green so there was quite a bit of brush to hide behind on a stalk that and elevation changes. The down side to that is that the brush was the biggest problem getting a shot also. Most of the deer I got to within bow range on I was not able to get a shot off due to the brush. Then trying to get an open shot in the brush I normally blew the stalk by trying to position myself where I could get a shot. That was when I would get busted and they would hop off. Still a very fun, hard hunt and I definitely learned allot.

Comment

Yea, those hunts are a blast. Sounds like you put in a lot of work. The bad thing about those hunts is by the time you figure out the deer movements and how to hunt it, its over. Have been on several where I didn't kill anything, but they are some of the most fun I have ever had. Thanks for the story. I didn't get drawn this year....

Comment

Great story fisher, sounds like you had a good time. I'm taking my nephew next weekend to Big Bend Ranch to chase mulies, then a few weeks later I get to chase them with my bow at Black Gap. I just hope we see somewhere near the deer you did!

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                              Yea, those hunts are a blast. Sounds like you put in a lot of work. The bad thing about those hunts is by the time you figure out the deer movements and how to hunt it, its over. Have been on several where I didn't kill anything, but they are some of the most fun I have ever had. Thanks for the story. I didn't get drawn this year....
                              this is exactly right. About the time I was figuring a few things out it was over. I wish they would make these hunts at least 5 days instead of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X