Adding weight up front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding weight up front?

I would like to get some more FOC out of my arrows. Right now I am shooting a 29" arrow and a 100gr point. My FOC with this set up is between 8-9%. I would like to stick with 100gr tip bc that is what all my current broad heads are. Is there a way to add weight to my current arrows without going to a heavier tip?
    Can I add an insert with my insert already installed?

You can add insert weight. But you need to list all info on your bow and the arrow. With an arrow at 29 in long. You would need a 300 spine min to be adding any weight up front. If your shooting close to 70 lb at 29 in a 250 spine will be needed to add weight up front.

All this is speculations with out your info

Comment

Mathews chill r with 85% rock mods, 29" draw and 71lb. Easton axis arrows 300 spine. Right now arrow weight is right at 470gr with 100gr tip

Comment

Ok I believe the Easton axis is a hidden insert. If so then no way to add weight to existing insert. Only way to add weight would go up in tip weight or replace vanes with feathers.

With that bow and draw and lb your could next time buying arrows get with muddy fuzzy. Look at carnivores 250 spine and put blazers and put a 50 gn insert with your 100 tip would be around 450 to 460 Gn total

When calculating foc. Don't include tip in the length measurement. If you are redo with out the tip measurement

Comment

for your setup and your FOC of 8-9% is good enuff for now. you have alot of energy already. FOC is more important to lower energy setups. but for your next batch of Axis go with the brass insert and add 50 or 75 gr up front. i also run axis with a 50 gr insert and have a total arrow weight of 505 gr and 16% FOC out of my Insanity. still getting 285 fps so its a hard hitting fast enuff arrow.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of.

Comment

Originally posted by ar3731guy View Post
              for your setup and your FOC of 8-9% is good enuff for now. you have alot of energy already. FOC is more important to lower energy setups. but for your next batch of Axis go with the brass insert and add 50 or 75 gr up front. i also run axis with a 50 gr insert and have a total arrow weight of 505 gr and 16% FOC out of my Insanity. still getting 285 fps so its a hard hitting fast enuff arrow.
              I am going to agree to disagree to a certain extent. More FOC, no matter what weight or energy you are shooting more FOC will help in 2 very positive ways, actually maybe 3 positive ways. Accuracy, forgiveness and penetration. Yes he has enough for penetration, but with more being up front than 9%, anything above that will help in penetration of bone if needed. I would much rather have a high FOC to allow the front part of the arrow pulling the rest of the arrow rather than the rear of the arrow pushing the front.
              I went thru this and found the accuracy and forgiveness at longer ranges went way up with way more FOC shooting around 70#'s and a 29" draw. Have to be careful with the spine though.

Comment

Comment

I added the 75gr insert and a 150gr broadhead to my setup this year. Although I'm not really shooting the best arrows(fmj 300's) for high foc, I'm right at 15% hand calculated. I say hand calculated because the website I used to build my arrows with a foc calculator said I was almost 19%. Anyways, I can tell a huge difference in the way they fly(less wind drift and forgiving), hit the target etc. Even made my bow more quiet. My setup is 65lbs 28.5" draw with fmj's cut to 27" to the nock groove. Haven't weighed my arrows yet but should be somewhere around 580-590.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter06 View Post
                    i added the 75gr insert and a 150gr broadhead to my setup this year. Although i'm not really shooting the best arrows(fmj 300's) for high foc, i'm right at 15% hand calculated. I say hand calculated because the website i used to build my arrows with a foc calculator said i was almost 19%. Anyways, i can tell a huge difference in the way they fly(less wind drift and forgiving), hit the target etc. Even made my bow more quiet. My setup is 65lbs 28.5" draw with fmj's cut to 27" to the nock groove. Haven't weighed my arrows yet but should be somewhere around 580-590.
                    bingo!

Comment

You could always add the easton brass hit insert from the nock end of your arrow and push them down the shaft until it touches your insert thats already installed. Just use a slow setting glue. Not saying thats the right or wrong solution but just another option.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        Ok I believe the Easton axis is a hidden insert. If so then no way to add weight to existing insert. Only way to add weight would go up in tip weight or replace vanes with feathers.

With that bow and draw and lb your could next time buying arrows get with muddy fuzzy. Look at carnivores 250 spine and put blazers and put a 50 gn insert with your 100 tip would be around 450 to 460 Gn total

When calculating foc. Don't include tip in the length measurement. If you are redo with out the tip measurement
                        This is pretty much exactly what I'm gonna do when I build my 505 grain setup. Black eagle 250s are a great starting point for building a high FOC arrow without breaking the 550 mark

Comment

Working...
                        X