Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Semi Live with African Arrow Safaris, FINALLY!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
    Kudu
    Gemsbok
    Zebra
    Impala
    Steenbok
    Warthog
    Bushbuck

All the above better look out!
    If you can get a Gemsbok that would be a real feat...they don’t come to water regular from what I saw and have been told.

The Zebra is also a tough sucker to hunt.

As mentioned, leave a bit of flexibility with your list. We had some animals on our list we took off to add others. Others we had ( like bushbuck ) that we never saw even once.

Only thing I would recommend to your list would be a Nyala

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
      If you can get a Gemsbok that would be a real feat...they don’t come to water regular from what I saw and have been told.

The Zebra is also a tough sucker to hunt.

As mentioned, leave a bit of flexibility with your list. We had some animals on our list we took off to add others. Others we had ( like bushbuck ) that we never saw even once.

Only thing I would recommend to your list would be a Nyala
      I’d love a big Nyala but with it being on upper end of $. I just don’t see myself trading Kudu for it

Comment

Have fun, be safe and enjoy! Look forward to hearing if your groups successful exploits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

good luck, in for pics

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
            Have fun, be safe and enjoy! Look forward to hearing if your groups successful exploits!

Thanks Chris. Three of us are shooting your arrows!

Comment

We made it to camp. Everything has been first class we start hunting in the morning!

Comment

Awesome. In for updates

Oh we need pictures!!!

Comment

I do not believe I will get pics to upload. It was a memorable first day today. My buddy Justin P shot a blue Wildebeest and then followed it up with a monster Eland and they both fell in sight!

I went to a mountain area to hunt bushbuck with Harry. This area was a little slow, but I knew that going in. You don’t see large numbers of animals where we were hunting bushbuck. This spot also has chance for mountain reedbuck, Duiker, Baboon, and steenbok.

My first animal spotted from a blind in Africa was a immature bushbuck ram. About every 30-50 minutes another bushbuck ewe would work through. Finally at about 12:25 I spotted a big bushbuck and then another. It took about 20 minutes for the big one to commit from the brush to the 20 yard waterhole. I steadied my pin and took my shot, shooting over the back of this ram at chip shot distance. I was disgusted!!!

We headed to camp for lunch. First thing I did was reshoot my bow(which we had already done that morning). It was still shooting true! I honestly just kept replaying it in my head and couldn’t come up with a reason for this.

We headed out for the evening hunt. I was going to a blind that was a good blind for Zebra and there were several zebra there when we arrived. It took about 30 minutes for some animals to find their way out of the heavy brush. First was three beautiful Nyala ewes with one young bull. These were followed by some Kudu cows, young bulls, blue wildabeest cows, a lot of water bucks, three giraffes, four red hartabeest, two impala rams that I thought were nice but Harry said “we can do better” so I held off.

At about 5:15 a shooter warthog came in and started eating alfalfa at 19 yards. Here it was my chance for redemption with a easy slightly quartering away shot. I stand and wait for Harry to film for a bit and tell me to shoot. I settled my 20 yard pin looking for offside shoulder, squeezed the release and same thing as the bushbuck, right over it’s back. You got the be freakin kidding me!!! My stomach hit the floor and I was mind blown. This shot felt perfect and my anchor was solid as could be, the arrow simply did not go where pin was aiming!!

Completely puzzled and upset that I am ruining a trip I have dreamed of, I am eager to get back to the lodge and go to the range. On our way back we get word that my good buddy Conner shot a monster pig and had a BIG Kudu less than twenty five yards for over half an hour and just couldn’t get an arrow off.

Harry suggest to double check shooting with my broadheads at the range. I go straight to the target with the arrow I shot at the Warthog(slick trick mag) and shoot it 5-6” high. I did this compared to my field tips and it was high every shot. I was sick!

Two weeks ago I had to get new strings put on my bow. We tuned it at the bowshop and it was good to go, or so I thought. It was a stupid mistake, but I should have field tested the broadheads instead of assuming the bow was freshly tuned and I should be good to go. I then shot a practice Rage and Sevr head and they flew perfect with field tips as expected. So I will be using these for the remainder of the trip.

I am hopeful I got the bad juju gone and it’s all uphill from here. Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

PS: I apologize for spelling, punctuation, and run ons. This is all done from an iphone!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congrats! Nice pics and animals!

Comment

Looks like yall are having a blast man....Go get you a few on the ground!

Comment

great update, that warthog and eland are HUGE!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Keep after it Justin. Your luck will change. Great Warty snd Eland!

Comment

Man tough break on the broadhead deal. Good thing the expendables fixed it up. I was
                              Going to shoot some one our trip but decided to change to a G5 month before. Had I known How much that crew loves the expandable I would have left everything as is. Good luck on the rest of the trip and congrats to the other guys on some fine animals.

Comment

You got two great ones. Keep after it

Comment

Working...
                                X