Long rant/advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long rant/advice wanted

So about two months ago we were home for summer (my wife and I both work for a school district) and a Republic Services dump truck drove approximately 300 yds down our private slag driveway and turned around on our poured concrete in front of our house. I had never known about this because we aren’t usually home early afternoons on Fridays. Going outside and looking around it was clear from the tracks in our slag and on our concrete it had been going on for awhile. This particular truck picks up a dumpster up near the main road, and we don’t even have service with them. Instead of backing up 75 yds to the main road (picture a tiny country road off of a main road that dead ends into our slag drive) the driver was driving all the way down to our house to turn around (where my children play). I called the local office, got pushed to corporate, and filed a complaint. A couple of days later a local manager came out and looked at the tracks. I explained that we’re far enough off of the main road that we let our young children play outside semi-supervised, and also that the dump truck was not good for our driveway, as it was too heavy for the slag, and also pushed rocks into the grass that could damage our mower. He was very nice about it, and assured me it wouldn’t happen again, and although it doesn’t take a smart man to realize it was a private drive, we don’t have a sign up. Today, (Friday, early afternoon) my stepdad is out in our shop, and hears a big engine outside. He goes outside and watches a republic services dump truck, that’s again 300 yds down our private drive, stop short of our paved drive and go back and forth Austin Powers style in our slag before turning around. It was pouring down rain, and he rutted our rock pretty good, and once I looked at it it was pretty clear that he’s still been doing it every week because there’s an area perfectly in line with the ruts where the slag has been pushed down so deep that a muddy area is forming. I contacted the company again, and I guess if they don’t fix the road and stop it from happening again the next step is a call to the sheriff. I talked to an extended family member who used to be the constable out here and he said he’d give the company a chance to fix the problem (and the rock) before he’d go to the sheriff. What would you do in my situation?

First, post a sign. Second, give then a chance to make amends. Third, document everything and go after them.

Comment

Buy a gate....it's sad but this is probably what you will end up having to do. I would be P-O 'ed. I'd talk to the corporate guy and and have him bring a few loads of slag and the equipment to spread it. I'd meet the driver in your driveway and explain that it is NOT the county road and that he stop or else. You can decide how you want to handle it from there.

Comment

If you don't have service with them, why are they getting your trash? Just curious. At least thats the way I read it.
        Last edited by doghouse; 08-23-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I would get in touch with the SO and get them in the loop on what's been going on and what your intentions are. Just for future reference at this time.

Comment

Put up a gate and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Put up a gate and be done with it.
              This. I’ve never owned a place that I didn’t gate immediately, even if I didn’t live there. It prevents problems like this.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                If you don't have service with them, why are they getting your trash? Just curious. At least thats the way I read it.
                They aren’t. They’re picking up a dumpster at the house right before the county road dead ends onto our drive, then driving down OUR driveway and turning around in front of our house instead of backing up to the main road after picking up the other guys trash.
                Last edited by bullets13; 08-23-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  This. I’ve never owned a place that I didn’t gate immediately, even if I didn’t live there. It prevents problems like this.
                  What kind of issues do you have with packages being delivered and stuff like that? The gate would be 300 yds from our house, and there are a couple of folks in the area I wouldn’t want eyeballing deliveries

Comment

A spike strip oughta get their attention. Probably only take once.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      A spike strip oughta get their attention. Probably only take once.
                      With my luck the wife would be the one to find it, even after I already told her about it.

Comment

Buy or build some of these

Pretty sure he has a routine day, just scatter them in the ruts after painting them to match the slag

Comment

Post a sign, put ups game camera, take them to small claims court if they don't fix their damage.

Comment

Working...
                          X