X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m sure firehot will chime in soon.

Comment

Congratulations.
      The Prince George's County Maryland Fire/EMS Department was honored to have Deputy Fire Chief, Loveland Symmes, Ohio, Fire Department William "Billy" Goldfed...

Comment

I've been doing as many pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges and running as I can. Trying to drop a couple pounds beforehand too. Hope I'm in good enough shape. I did alright in the conditioning classes.

Comment

Love the video!

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
            I've been doing as many pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges and running as I can. Trying to drop a couple pounds beforehand too. Hope I'm in good enough shape. I did alright in the conditioning classes.

Very good! Good luck to you again!! Just around the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I've never heard you so polite and encouraging there mac! Must be EMS!!! Welcome to the brotherhood. Greatest career in the world.

Comment

Good luck brother. My advise is the same as most. Just don’t give up amd most importantly is have initiative. Find something to do and don’t wait to be told. When everyone else is sitting around BSing, there is something else you should be doing. You have 2 ears and only one mouth for a reason.
                  Best of luck. It’s the BEST job in the world

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    I’ve been through two academies, San Jac and HFD. They were both fun to me, you’ll come across some tough moments but as long as u carry a no quit mentality you’ll do just fine. I quit HFD after 3 years for a better paying job but God I miss it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I spent 8 years with HFD. Left in '14 for a job 30 mins from home (took me about an hour and 45 mins to get to the station in H-Town) for twice the money. I miss the job itself and the days off, but don't miss Houston, its hood-rats, the crooked politicians who control the purse strings, or its traffic at all! I still have until May of '19 to go back. It's tempting sometimes. The job itself was fun and sometimes rewarding.

Good luck, OP. The academy isn't hard if you're focused on getting through it. And don't worry about the fitness part of it. Any and all PT you do will be to the mean average of everyone in your class. I overthought that and was in way better shape than I needed to be for the 9 months I was in the academy. The burns are fun and sometimes pretty challenging. You'll make some lasting friendships.

Comment

Oh, and station life is the bomb-dot-com. It's just like deer camp, but without the beer.

Comment

Dont talk to animalhse until you are off probation. There is a reason #9s is called animal house.

Comment

So I am two weeks into the academy. It's been a long two weeks. Something I have learned about that I wasn't aware of is the problem of cancer in fire fighters. Many of the instructors who are 20+ year vets talk about watching several friends wither away to cancer. It gets talked about almost daily. I hate to be a chicken about it but it is really concerning to me.

Comment

Wear your BA religiously.

Comment

Its not just hose draggers. The reason you hear about it is guys are close to one another just like your hero the cops. In any brotherhood there will be illness and tragedy and it effects everyone. In a lot of the working world if someone that they work with has something tragic happen it is just life. When it happens to us its a brother.

Comment

Will do Walker. Is the problem as common as they're saying? Is it because guys didn't wear their BAs back in the day?

Comment

Working...
                                X