First Lefty Critter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Lefty Critter

Well I spent the last couple of weeks in Harper looking for a critter to take with my new Lefty Bear Truth bow. I have changed from shooting right handed to left handed because of being left eye dominate. I saw a lot of 8 and 9 pointers but they were not very wide around 13 inches so I passed on them. I am not in an antler restriction county but I have a ranch rule that a buck must be wider than the ears and 8 points or better. I will allow a doe or spike to be taken also along with a cull buck if I have seen one on the trail camera that I think needs to be taken off of the ranch. This seems to be working out for me as we are seeing and taking bigger bucks in the last few years than we have in the past. Well Friday evening I was sitting one of the blinds and a couple of does came out and started feeding on some of the hand thrown corn I had put outside the feed pen when this six pointer comes in and chases the does for a while and then he jumped into the feed pen and starts eating the corn that the feeder had thrown. He would jump back out of the feed pen and chase the does every time they came back to feed. This went on for 30 minutes and he would face directly at me when he was feeding not offering a good shot. He finally came up to fence at 25 yards and turned broadside and I drew back and released the arrow. I saw the arrow pass thru and hit the ground as he whirled and ran to the back of the feed pen jumping the fence and running about 40 yards before stopping and turning broadside. I could see the exit wound right behind his shoulder and could see the blood on his side. He slowly walked about 10 more yards to a brush pile that was piled up beside a big oak tree. I could not see him after he entered the brush pile and after glassing for 30 minutes I did not see him exit either. I thought that maybe he had walked straight away or had laid down at the brush pile. I waited a few minutes more and climbed down form the elevated blind. I walk to where I had seen him jump the back fence of the feed pen and started looking for blood. I had another arrow nocked and ready in case he was just ahead. I found the blood trail right away and when I got to where he was standing before he went into the brush pile there was a lot of blood on the ground I took a few more steps to the brush pile there he was taking a dirt nap behind the log I have him draped over in the picture. He is 18 inches wide inside spread and is probably 4 ½ years old. I had seen him last year and knew he would never be more than a 6 pointer so I was glad to get him this year. The trail camera took a few pictures of him before I shot him. I am going to do a European mount and add him to the collection in the man room. I will be going back real soon to see if any of the other deer want to join him on the wall.
    Attached Files

Congrats on your first buck after the switch.

Comment

That's a great cull buck. Congrats on getting it done after making the switch.

Comment

Dang. He's a bruiser. Congrats!!

Comment

Switch hitter huh!!! Well done sir!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great cull buck! well played

Comment

We've got a lot of culling to do before we get to culls of that quality!
              Congrats!

Comment

You did good!!!! Congratulations. So, how hard was it to switch to lefty?

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                  You did good!!!! Congratulations. So, how hard was it to switch to lefty?
                  I want to know too. Was it hard to switch and were the results worth it?

Comment

Switching to a lefty was pretty easy. The good thing about is you start remembering all of the things you are supposed to do in order to get off a good shot. It only took a couple of days before I was hitting nocks and putting holes in the fletching of the other arrows I had already shot. I really like that I can keep both eyes open and can keep my head up staight instead of leaning over the string. I do not use a peep sight since I use a holographic sight. It is like a scope only better.
                    Last edited by Downwind; 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Man I love those big 6's! congrats on tha bruiser!

Comment

congrats Nice buck!!!

Comment

A toad of a 6 point. Congrats!

Comment

That is a big 6! Congrats!

Comment

nice buck, congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X