Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Pineywoods
Ten Point
 
Pineywoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Caney
Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton
Question Muddy Game Cameras?

Anybody have any experience with them? I stopped buying expensive cameras because their life span and thief span seemed about the same as some of the cheaper ones. I had never heard of them until I saw them pop up at Academy. I exchanged a Moultrie that stopped working after a year and decided to give one of these a try. I haven't put it out yet. Are they decent for the money or total crap?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young
 
shaft_slinger00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default Muddy Game Cameras?

I have come to the conclusion that most game cameras are disposable. After a year or 2 they are usually trash.

I have a browning strike force that is 2 years old now that I caught on sale for like $79. I try not to spend more than $50-$75 on a camera.

I have a moultire I bought from Walmart for $39 3 years ago that is still working. My FIL bought the Primos camera from Walmart for $39 when they ran them on sale recently and I have one out so we shall see.


All that said if I get a year or 2 out of a camera at most I'm happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

When coons crawl over them all cameras become muddy cameras.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that most game cameras are disposable. After a year or 2 they are usually trash.

I have a browning strike force that is 2 years old now that I caught on sale for like $79. I try not to spend more than $50-$75 on a camera.

I have a moultire I bought from Walmart for $39 3 years ago that is still working. My FIL bought the Primos camera from Walmart for $39 when they ran them on sale recently and I have one out so we shall see.


All that said if I get a year or 2 out of a camera at most I'm happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not spend around $120 for one that last a little longer? I feel your pain though, making them last. I have hadu best luck with browning and moultrie
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young
 
shaft_slinger00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Why not spend around $120 for one that last a little longer? I feel your pain though, making them last. I have hadu best luck with browning and moultrie


I have spent that much and it didn't last any longer, as to why I don't spend that much any longer.

I hunt 7 hours from home, so I'm a lot less pizzed to get there a a $50 camera doesn't work any longer as compared to a $150 camera.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
I have spent that much and it didn't last any longer, as to why I don't spend that much any longer.

I hunt 7 hours from home, so I'm a lot less pizzed to get there a a $50 camera doesn't work any longer as compared to a $150 camera.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I understand that. Hopefully you have good luck with the browning. I have had good luck so far with the SF


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young
 
shaft_slinger00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
I understand that. Hopefully you have good luck with the browning. I have had good luck so far with the SF


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Been flawless so far. I liked it so much I bought my dad one that I found on sale too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
wtb90
Ten Point
 
wtb90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Somerville
Default

I saw the muddy in Academy the other day and wondered the same thing. As far as life span, it's hard to beat Bushnell. I've got (4) 5 year old Trophy Cam's still working perfectly.
wtb90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Lometa, TX
Default

My two cents...
1) buy from places or manufactures with generous return policies.
2) shade your cameras and they'll all last longer.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that most game cameras are disposable. After a year or 2 they are usually trash.

I have a browning strike force that is 2 years old now that I caught on sale for like $79. I try not to spend more than $50-$75 on a camera.

I have a moultire I bought from Walmart for $39 3 years ago that is still working. My FIL bought the Primos camera from Walmart for $39 when they ran them on sale recently and I have one out so we shall see.


All that said if I get a year or 2 out of a camera at most I'm happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats your problem. Spend $120-150 and they will last 2-3 years easy. Most of mine are still
running.

Browning, Moultrie, or Bushell. Nothing else for me unless a wirless Covert

Last edited by gingib; 09-13-2017 at 08:42 AM..
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
SFAbowhunter
Ten Point
 
SFAbowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melissa, Texas
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I haven't used the muddy cameras yet, but I'm the same way. I hate spending over $100 on a camera and it last 6 months. I'd much rather spend $30-$50 and find out it doesn't work or last. I hunt a lot of public land so I have cameras scattered all over and need to be able to hide them from the thieves.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young
 
shaft_slinger00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Thats your problem. Spend $120-150 and they will last 2-3 years easy. Most of mine are still
running.

Browning, Moultrie, or Bushell. Nothing else for me unless a wirless Covert


Spending all that money on a covert would do me zero good, when there isn't cell service to make it work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
Spending all that money on a covert would do me zero good, when there isn't cell service to make it work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am just saying those are the only brands I trust. And like mentioned buy from a reputable company who has a 2 year warranty. Then its guaranteed to last 2+ years and you will get ALOT better pics
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
Hoss163
Eight Point
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

I'm assuming nobody has tried this yet lol they look kinda of like brownings to me so they maybe good I would say they are worth a try !!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
PNOAK
Four Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Brenham
Hunt In: Uvalde,,Giddings
Default

I have to agree that cameras are pretty much disposable, I have gone through the cheapest ones and gradually working my way up in price point. I have a lot of stealth cams and they are generally lasting two years-I have been replacing them with cuddebac and they are lasting 3 years, one thing of notable interest is last month we conducted our own test between stealth cam and cuddebac by placing them side by side in the feeder pen. The stealthcam took 400 pics and the cuddebac took 1000 pics.I saw bucks on the cuddebac that I didn't see on the stealthcam.So imagine what your missing when you have a cheaper camera on a trail situation or even a corn feeder where the deer may grab a bite and go.Just my real world experience .02cents
PNOAK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
hogslayer78
Ten Point
 
hogslayer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Porter, Tx
Hunt In: San Augustine
Default

I buy all my moultrie cameras from academy and a couple from Wal-Mart when they were running them for $49.99 2 years ago. All of those D-500 cameras are still working and mine stay out all year.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
Hoss163
Eight Point
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Everybody can say what they want about the wildlife innovation camera but we have about 8 of them that have been running for at least 4 seasons and had a couple more that would still be working if it wasn't for wood peckers !!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #18
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that most game cameras are disposable. After a year or 2 they are usually trash.

I have a browning strike force that is 2 years old now that I caught on sale for like $79. I try not to spend more than $50-$75 on a camera.

I have a moultire I bought from Walmart for $39 3 years ago that is still working. My FIL bought the Primos camera from Walmart for $39 when they ran them on sale recently and I have one out so we shall see.


All that said if I get a year or 2 out of a camera at most I'm happy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me



Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Thats your problem. Spend $120-150 and they will last 2-3 years easy. Most of mine are still
running.

Browning, Moultrie, or Bushell. Nothing else for me unless a wirless Covert
You must be a camera salesman or something, you make the same comment on camera threads

I have 2 Brownings, neither cost me more than $100 and they are still going strong after 3 years

I had 3 Moultries that combined were still within your range. 2 working great, the 3rd I put some 3v batteries that I thought were AA in and fried the electronics.
Got them at WM and paid $5 ea for 3 year extended warranty and they bought fried one back no questions asked

All of my cameras are running 24/7/365 out in the elements, some in direct sun for most of the day

If you want to spend more money on something that is the same as what I can get for less then go right ahead
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
UrbanBuck
Six Point
 
UrbanBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Waverly
Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT
Default

Seems to me the cheaper cams have closed the gap. Used to the cheap ones were total trash and ate the batteries like crazy. Nowadays i feel most of the cameras are decent and i wouldn't drop crazy money on one. Especially hunting public land obviously
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Same for me





You must be a camera salesman or something, you make the same comment on camera threads

I have 2 Brownings, neither cost me more than $100 and they are still going strong after 3 years

I had 3 Moultries that combined were still within your range. 2 working great, the 3rd I put some 3v batteries that I thought were AA in and fried the electronics.
Got them at WM and paid $5 ea for 3 year extended warranty and they bought fried one back no questions asked

All of my cameras are running 24/7/365 out in the elements, some in direct sun for most of the day

If you want to spend more money on something that is the same as what I can get for less then go right ahead
LOL. No. just a camera junky and love me some good pics

And going from my experience with my 10 and many years of cameras(all brands) and buddies 30-50 cameras. What has worked and what hasn't.

And yes I keep all my receipts also
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

I have found Trailcampro.com to be an awesome and unbiased source of info for cameras and their reviews.

Their 2 year warranty, free sd card, and good prices are hard to beat.

And no I have never bought one from them, just use their reviews and find them to be spot on
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #22
wade
Eight Point
 
wade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: lufkin
Hunt In: sedan,kansas The Big Woods
Default

We have 4-6 running. Exact same set up as browning the only difference is the SD card goes in upside down. Good pictures. Good customer service ,, got them running in ks. No problem
wade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #23
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
I'm assuming nobody has tried this yet lol they look kinda of like brownings to me so they maybe good I would say they are worth a try !!
I just Bill Winke's video blog this morning and the Muddy he was setting up was the spitting image of a Browning. I would try them if I needed some.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com