Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Chef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County
Default CC Concealment Guidance

After all these years I have finally decided to get my LTC/CHL. Completed application will be processed on Monday. I need some guidance from you "experts" on some things.

1. The largest concern I have is being able to adequately conceal while carrying out my daily duties.

I wear boots, jeans with tucked in long sleeve dress shirts 365 days a year.

I have tried IWB in lower back, kidney and front of hip with Sig P6 and Ruger LC9s and it is still obvious. I tried a shoulder holster with both and it looks like i'm smuggling a case of beer under my arm in a dress shirt (with a lite jacket it is fine). I thought about an ankle holster but it will take me an hour to pull up the starched jeans high enough to get over the boot!!!

Guidance accepted...

Recommended holster?? Recommend specialty weapons?? Are the shirts with holsters in them worth a count??
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

rear pocket holster for the LC9
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

When I dress like you I just don't carry. It sucks, so I'm subscribed for responses from those that've figured out how to do it well.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

There is a great video on youtube about a girl hiding a crossbread holster. Watch it for the holster. I have seen several in law enforcement using it.
stinkbelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I dress in jeans and untucked T shirt, so my advice is less than expert, but front pocket carry with the LC9 may be your best bet.

In the cooler weather, -60*, I wear a Carhart vest, and could conceal a Smith 29 if I wanted. You may have to break your dress code or not be completely concealed. Your choice.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

In. Same issues.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

You would be surprised how many people will never notice it. You notice it because you are looking for it. I carry a full size XD 40. Have carried both OC and CC. No one batted an eye.
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
RJH1
Six Point

Front pocket carry an lcp or a s&w 642
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Chef
Ten Point

Anyone tired one of these??

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1280_.jpg
Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo31 View Post
You would be surprised how many people will never notice it. You notice it because you are looking for it. I carry a full size XD 40. Have carried both OC and CC. No one batted an eye.
Same here. Mostly my Glock G23 but have also carried my 1911 and if someone noticed they never said not acknowledged...

And I most dress for my gun, not the other way around. IWB, colored tee with a dress shirt/cover shirt untucked. Or a white tee under a Polo shirt. Or once or twice OC. But usually with a OWB it's a tee and unbuttoned dress/cover shirt.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
georgiaboy151
Four Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Pocket carry in jeans can be tough, depending on the fit of the jeans. If you are dead set or required to continue to tuck your shirt in, the urban carry holster may be a good idea. I have never used it, but it looks like a good solution for your particular situation. I have ankle carried daily in the past, but I had to get my boot custom modified to fit my ankle holster, then it took about a month before it became comfortable, and it goes without saying that you need to train for whatever carry method you choose. Good luck, hope it helps.
georgiaboy151 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
Outbreaker
Ten Point

I usually carry a full sized XD45 outside the waistband untucked. Not a problem.

Tucked I use a Comptac Minetaur IWB that I can tuck with slacks or jeans. Just blouse the tuck line like most people do.

I tend to dress for the gun I want to carry, not fix after the fact.

That being said I have an LC9 and LCR that I will carry when I need to be deeper in my concealment.
Outbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
txsurveyor
Four Point

Hunt In: Blanco Tx

I wear the same thing as you every day. I boot carry and it works great. Check out sticky holsters they have a great product that allows many different options of carry.
txsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Thunderwear.

I swear my old boss carries this way.
stinkbelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo31 View Post
You would be surprised how many people will never notice it. You notice it because you are looking for it.
How do you get past the black clips poking out though?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

First, only yourself and possible other LTC holders will ever notice.

Second, it is impossible to tuck and be 100% concealed where the people above won't notice.

I learned to go un-tucked.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #17
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Buy you a pair of these boots. They are the most comfortable things you will ever wear AND they allow quick/easy access to your ankle holster. You can also get a "belt clip" for your LC9 that allows you to tuck it into your waste band and it is nearly invisible.

http://www.sheplers.com/twisted-x-me...e-/036T21.html
texan16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

Wear a black gun belt and no one will ever notice them. My Comptac have the same clips.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Wear a black gun belt and no one will ever notice them. My Comptac have the same clips.
But then I gotta wear black shoes. Ain't gonna wear black shoes every day.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #20
BigJimmyRustler
Four Point

Quote:
But then I gotta wear black shoes. Ain't gonna wear black shoes every day.
Get a nice pair of Lucchese black gator/ostrich boots!

Almost no one will notice the clips to be honest

EDIT: It sounds like you're already dressing fairly nicely everyday anyway so in the fall/Winter months it would be easy enough to wear a sport coat to help conceal.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 09-07-2017 at 02:05 PM..
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #21
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

There are a select few people that will notice the clips and those people are going to notice the tucked weapon anyway.

But some companies to offer clips that go between the belt and your jeans and velcro to the back of your belt.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Quote:

Most likely only a person that knows what an IWB holster is are going to know what those are....and even those will probably never notice.

I never look to try to find another person carrying

Most people walking around are looking head level, at the shelves of stuff they are buying....or their face buried in their phone
Old 09-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #23
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:

They have different color clips or loops to match the belt better. I don't like those clips, not secure enough.
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #24
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

I've got the same issue, boots/jeans, tucked in shirt is my casual wear almost all of the time when its not 100 degrees outside. I find myself more often than not carrying a small .380 in my boot. Honestly its just the only way to go if you want to dress the way we do. I have a G26 that's my truck gun, I can't find a way to wear it besides on my hip, so it typically stays in the truck. I really like some of the micro .380/9mm's and they will work for cargo short pocket carry and such, but stepping up to anything bigger really requires a holster and dressing to conceal the pistol. IMHO, there is no good solution, you either compromise on how you dress or what you carry, period.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
BigJimmyRustler
Four Point

Also, if you're just starting out carrying let me give you a couple more bits of advice.

1. You're gonna need a new belt made to carry a weapon. Standard belts not made for weapon carrying will not cut the mustard and will make carrying a PITA. Theres a ton of different options out there to fit every style so look at a bunch and find what suits your style the best.

2. Get a kydex holster.

3. Carrying a gun is NOT supposed to be comfortable, it is however supposed to be comforting. So give it some time and stick with it and try different options. Once you figure out what types of belts/guns/holsters work for you you'll forget it's there. Rarely, do CC'ers find the perfect setup on the first try. Most of us have a safe full of guns and a drawer full of holster and belts that we don't/rarely use.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
LROSE
Eight Point

Check these out.... not the most manly thing ever but it is a front of pants holster.

https://urbancarryholsters.com/

I have an Alienware IWB holster for the Glock 19. Need to get a holster for the Sig P239 (very small).
LROSE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

I use an alien gear iwb for a keltec pf9. About as comfortable as can be. I keep my front clip at the first belt loop, pistol at 3 oclock. I like the alien gear as it is wider and not as bunched up. A little love handle and a slight gut helps!
fullsizeaggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #28
LROSE
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
I use an alien gear iwb for a keltec pf9. About as comfortable as can be. I keep my front clip at the first belt loop, pistol at 3 oclock. I like the alien gear as it is wider and not as bunched up. A little love handle and a slight gut helps!
Agree !!!!
LROSE is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #29
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Also, if you're just starting out carrying let me give you a couple more bits of advice.

1. You're gonna need a new belt made to carry a weapon. Standard belts not made for weapon carrying will not cut the mustard and will make carrying a PITA. Theres a ton of different options out there to fit every style so look at a bunch and find what suits your style the best.

2. Get a kydex holster.

3. Carrying a gun is NOT supposed to be comfortable, it is however supposed to be comforting. So give it some time and stick with it and try different options. Once you figure out what types of belts/guns/holsters work for you you'll forget it's there. Rarely, do CC'ers find the perfect setup on the first try. Most of us have a safe full of guns and a drawer full of holster and belts that we don't/rarely use.
This, and you can carry a much larger gun than you think you can.

I proved this once. I carried 2 full sized 45s (one IWB and one OWB) and pocket carried 2 more. The person was complaining that he could not conceal a gun. I told him that I was carrying and he did not believe me. I then showed all 4 guns and he quit complaining.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #30
ram6256
Eight Point

Might look at Sneaky Pete's. They have a system for almost any weapon. Belt NEEDs to be double thickness and heavily stitched to hold up to the wear and tear.
Roy
ram6256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #31
Chef
Ten Point

In between appointments today I stopped by an ag supply place that sell's weapons. I tried on at least 20 holsters with 5 different pistols. Ended up buying a M&P Shield in 9 with a VersaCarry IWB. It feels "normal" and is sturdy. I shouldn't have to buy a new wardrobe either!!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #32
dcbrown
Ten Point

I carry a Glock 23 in a Texas Heritage IWB holster (at about the 4 - 430 position) and a stiffened gun belt, both by Tucker Gunleather in Houston. These are some of the finest craftsmanship you will find and the gentlemen will bend over backwards to make you happy. I have been carrying every day for the last nine years using this combination with absolutely no issues.
dcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #33
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram6256 View Post
Might look at Sneaky Pete's. They have a system for almost any weapon. Belt NEEDs to be double thickness and heavily stitched to hold up to the wear and tear.
Roy
I like mine.
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #34
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

I've tried a bunch of different holsters but learned if it's not comfortable, then I won't bother carrying. I dress with jeans, boots, and an Under Armour type golf shirt every day. An ankle holster has been my solution for several years. After a few weeks, you won't notice it. I carry a Glock 43 in a holster like this

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/75...lster-_-750589

Pic just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #35
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post

2. Get a kydex holster.

This man speaks the truth.

I fought what I thought was a sturdy belt for 2 years and then got a true gun belt and it was night and day!

In your boot may as well be in your purse as both are a huge tactical disadvantage.

Adjust your dress to untucked Polo's or better yet untucked button up shirts and OWB instantly becomes comfortable and very concealable.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #36
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Look at the " smart carry". I wear it no matter what I have on. Works with or with out a belt, shorts, trunks no shirt, sweats, dress slacks, jeans. I have not found any thing that I wear, that I am not able to carryand no one knows, even with out a shirt. I normally don't tuck my shirt, but when I wear dress slacks and nice shirt. I just tuck my shirt under the " belt" on the holster. And I can't really carry in my pocket, as I have to much other stuff in them. I have other holsters but can't wear them with every thing, so this has become my normal carry 100% of the time, summer and winter.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #37
hawgman_1
Ten Point

Hunt In: My farm and TX day leases

I carry a glock 26 in a sneaky pete. I like that I can carry concealed outside the pants with my shirt tucked in and I have easy access to my firearm. I have only been asked what it is once and I just told them it was a case for my tablet. I use it on a regular western belt. Stands up well to abuse too.
hawgman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #38
GMAN
Four Point

Hunt In: Young Co, Edwards Co, Terrell Co, Grimes Co and a yearly trip to Colorado

I wear a polo shirt tucked in every day and jeans. I wear a brave response holster and carry a glock 43 at 4 o'clock. I know it's there and it seems obvious, but I'm in sales and am in and out of offices every day and nobody has ever noticed.
GMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #39
limbbender
Four Point

Check out the wallet holsters designed for the subcompact 380.Fits in your back pocket just like your wallet.It has a a hole in it to access the trigger.Does not imprint and by time the bad guy realizes its not your wallet your handing him its too bad for him.I have used one for years.It is so comfortable to wear it is easy to forget you have it so be careful to remember to remove it when you go to places where you are not allowed to carry.
limbbender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #40
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
I use iwb holsters that the clips go behind the belt and you can't see them

To all that say it won't be comfortable I did agree the right belt and holster and I carry a shield and full size 1911(not at the same time) and they are invisible and I don't even notice them. My holsters are by talon out if Florida I love them.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by TxKronik; 09-08-2017 at 07:14 AM..
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #41
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I use a billfold holster for my P238 that I made myself. If some gang banger demands my wallet then I will give it to him. This thing ain't purdy but it works and fits in front or back pocket of most of my pants and short legged britches.
Attached Images

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-08-2017 at 07:28 AM..
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #42
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
I do this with my Shield .40 in an Alien gear holster, or a cheap desantis iwb holster in the appendix position. Comfortable, and quick to access.

Also, I dress the same way as the OP. No problems concealing in wrangler jeans and a tucked in shirt.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #43
Clay C
Ten Point

With a good belt, holster and right position you can carry just about anything. My regular carry guns are a Glock 19 in a TT Gunleather XC Slim or Crossbreed Supertuck, and a Glock 26 in a Vedder light tuck. from T-shirts and shorts to dress clothes Both are easy to conceal and are comfortable (relative to have a gun on your hip).

Good Belt, good holster, wear it until you get used to it.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #44
Wiley64
Four Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg TX

There really isn't a way to do it that is comfortable in my opinion. Take karate instead
Wiley64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #45
Arlington BowHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel Tx and Jasper

Take a look at Kangaroo Carry.

https://www.kangaroocarry.com/produc...dard-3-holster
Arlington BowHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #46
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley64 View Post
There really isn't a way to do it that is comfortable in my opinion. Take karate instead
Old 09-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #47
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley64 View Post
Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #48
buckwhacker
Nubbin' Buck

Glock 43
Sticky Holster
Tucked in lower back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #49
berto
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

http://jm4tactical.com/

or i wear a alien gear. my kimber fits better in the AG but the jm4 is easier to use imo
berto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #50
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Jaybo31

M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top